Help with a mysterious tree malady

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a new member here and glad to be part of this community. I have a tree that has a problem in that while it gets its expected new growth, about 15% of the tree dies every year. This happens with branches that appear to waste away. When inspecting the removed dead branches, I don't see obvious evidence of insects or some sort of fungus or disease. The unaffected growth seems perfectly healthy until one day I look up and notice a new dead branch. I believe that the tree is getting plenty of water. Take a look at the below photos. I don't know the type of tree which is why I included a photo that shows a closeup of the leaves. Zone 9B. Thank you in advance for your assistance!
01.png
02.png
03.png

I never got a reply on this post. 15-20% of this tree dies off every year, so I can't be the only one experiencing this. I know that it's difficult to diagnose something through photos, but I'm hoping that with the wealth of expertise in here, somebody's got an idea.

A) @TNTreeHugger started down the right path...whether the raised bed came first or second though is secondary. The primary question here is is the tree at the correct depth. It could have been planted as part of the raised bed project and still planted too deep. Or if the dead was built up around it, then it is certainly too deep.
B) @TheJollyLogger also hit a significant issue...look up native range of Honey locust. Not much of this looks like the Mojave Desert.
map.jpg

C) Now start looking for insects and disease. These may be pests taking advantage of a tree weakened by (A) and (B). They may not be easy to see...there are some borers that get into stressed Honey locust. They would be feeding under the bark. Calico scale is another common pest around here, anyhow, which doesn't look like a typical bug if you don't know what to look for.

I have several Sunburst locusts and they all do this to a certain extent. I guess I always figured it was more or less normal. The trees produce a riot of new shoots every spring and then several of them seem to "self select" and die back before the foliage fully develops. My biggest tree has a few spots of fungal locust canker which I try to trim back to healthy wood periodically. My understanding is this fungus is systemic in the trees and emerges in areas of stress or damage. At 30-35 years I worry this tree is approaching end of life. At any rate you might look for evidence of fungus and prune accordingly. I don't think there is a systemic treatment.

Honeylocust Diseases

TheJollyLogger, Seachaser, TNTreeHugger, Del_, lone wolf, ATH, and Breckinridge Elkins, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. For starters, great work on figuring out the species! I’m sure it’s a Sunburst Honey Locust (leditsia triacanthos var. inermis).

You’ve thrown out some good hypotheses. It could be herbicidal drift. It’s highly unlikely to be related to age since the tree is only 9-12 years old. The issue could be water, although that seems unlikely since it has 12 drips (set to water long and slowly) and is irrigated the maximum amount allowed in my jurisdiction. That said, it could always be watered more. It’s suited to my USDA zone and is described as being hardy in a variety of soils, so there’s no issue with it being in the wrong climate. There’s been discussion here of a raised planter. There’s no raised planter as the tree is in the ground. My neighbor’s golden barrel cacti are also in the ground. Each property is leveled differently since we’re on a hill and there’s a wall between the two properties. I know it’s hard to figure these things out from just a photo or two. I appreciate the concern about the planted depth. As I understand it, the showing of roots on the surface is supposed to be a sign that a tree is at a good depth. This tree does not show that but I didn’t think that generally happens until a tree reaches a certain age. That said, this could also be the problem. When it comes to diseases and pests, I took a look at common issues that impact Sunburst Honey Locusts. While I’m not attuned to tree problems, I have a strong background in with sorts of problems that impact bushes, cacti, and succulents, and nothing seems to fit. There are no noticeable anomalies on it or in the growth that I trim. That said, this is of course another possibility. Breckinridge Elkins, your comment is most interesting since you have experience with this type of tree and your trees do similar things when it comes to what you describe as the self-selection of growth.

Identification was key in this conversation as that gives a prediction of the potential size. Viewing online photos of mature versions and appreciating that the size of a tree’s canopy is usually echoed below the surface with roots, it’s highly unlikely that there is enough space for this tree. While I was hoping that this thread could prevent me from calling an arborist, I'm glad to say that it has underscored the importance of bringing a professional onto the property. A big part of that conversation won’t be about how to help this tree thrive but should the previous property owners have planted such a tree in a space this size. A related concern is that the roots may eventually damage my driveway. I suspect that a large bush like a Chaste Tree or a Mexican Bird of Paradise would have been a better fit. As far as ‘real’ trees go, even something like a fruit tree (apple, cherry, citrus) would have been a better fit for the limited space. Thank you all again for sharing your expertise and taking the time to respond!

Honey locust, within its native range, is one of the better trees for small planting spaces.

If the drive was built well, with a proper base, trees rarely cause damage. It's when a good base wasn't compacted and the concrete is too thin that they cause issues. Sure, at some point if it thrives, that trunk will go side to side in that space...but that's not likely.

Finally, surface roots have little or nothing to do with proper planting depth. To determine that, look where the trunk enters the ground. Is there a pronounced flare there?

Here's an example on a bigger tree:
1495038267-5_4_17_RootFlare_02.jpeg

Back