McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it out and ran very well. Clutch springs are a little weak as it VERY easily spins the chain even just a hair above idle and my idle is just above a stall. Chain wasn't as sharp as I would have liked but I didn't pay attention when grabbing one off the wall and it needed some love.

I must say though, this saw is smooth. Like butter! With the added anti-vibe I could hardly tell it was an older saw and the powerband was so smooth and torquey even cutting through 24" of tamarack it didn't even bog once. I will get the chain sharpened and take it out again as I only made one cut and realized I had a bad chain. I think this might become a staple saw for me though. It just feels and sounds nice to run and honestly thats 80% of what matters to me.View attachment 1180458
Im pretty sure you're not the only one addicted to the sound of an old Mac. !!

Got the PM570 out again with a sharp chain and I guess the last two days were the final straw for something as it now has an air leak. I have yet to vac test it but are there any major failure points other than the crank seals that I should be looking at on this saw? Also its pretty tired and could use new rings as the cylinder is nice and clean but it only pulls 125 psi compression which is more than enough to start in 1-2 pulls cold but I wouldn't mind giving it another 40 years of service.

125 PSI is actually not too bad for most of the 10 Series. Check the flywheel side seal as they are often compromised when someone runs the saw without the clutch washer in place or tries to use the saw as a lawn mower, cutting hay bales, etc.

It is also possible that someone allowed the saw to run when the screw that hold the tank down were loose and damaged the gaskets between the cylinder, insulator, and tank bottom.

Mark

125 PSI is actually not too bad for most of the 10 Series. Check the flywheel side seal as they are often compromised when someone runs the saw without the clutch washer in place or tries to use the saw as a lawn mower, cutting hay bales, etc.

It is also possible that someone allowed the saw to run when the screw that hold the tank down were loose and damaged the gaskets between the cylinder, insulator, and tank bottom.

Mark
Do you have the seal numbers or SKF numbers on hand as well as the part number for the other gaskets? I plan on making an adapter to p & v test it this weekend and see what's up.

You have to press the locking lever down with your thumb while holding the throttle open and release the throttle to lock it open. Try keeping your thumb off the lock...

View attachment 1181005

Mark
I'm pretty sure I wasn't on it but who knows. I will run it some more and pay close attention to that. It felt more like a malfunction in the mechanism.

Latest posts

Back