Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I added 80ml of oil to 2 litres of petrol, how much more petrol will I need to add to get from 25:1 to 40:1?.......
'cos that's way more math than I can cope with.

For 40 to 1 fuel ratio you would add 1.2 litre of gas to your 25 to 1 mix .

We don't get the extreme winters here (except for a couple of places) as the US, so there are no summer or winter bar oils sold here that I know of.
I also don't think this is a tid bit of info somehow hanging around un-noticed and un-edited since the 1980's. The Germans are generally way more efficient than that. It may well be old advice, but it appears that they have left it there as it suits their current purposes.
You're most certainly giving the Germans much too much credit. Feel free to look up any old manual, doesn't matter the manufacturer it's been basically the same wording for 30+ years. Suits there current need is marketing bs/ bullying now with the oil choices out there.

I bet there is some real junk FD rated oil too. What is the difference between FB and FD? D has detergent? Is that all? I started running some Stihl orange bottle. It smokes a little more but started laughing when I saw it cause it was so little it didnt matter. I bet money I could run my 32 yr. old Stihl 034 for another 10 yrs. with Stihl orange bottle and I bet the engine will still be good. We way the hell over think oil . I went from the cheapest crap I could find in 1989 with my 1st Stihl 011. I ran it very hard cause it was too small. Ran it for years , gave it to my dad. Not sure what happened to it. Ran my 034 for years on cheap stuff , never had a problem , then ran Amsoil Saber 100/1 for about a decade, never had a problem . This spring I tried some Stihl Orange , no problems yet and when it's gone I will go back to Amsoil Saber 50/1 or maybe Castrol. ( Let me guess , someone here will say it's junk). I ran my 1983 25 horse Merc 100/1 with the cheapest junk I could find ( Shipmate brand) then Amsoil 100/1 , merc 100/1 , then went to Amsoil Saber outboard 128/1 cause I back troll for hours at a time and the smoke got me dizzy from back trolling into the wind for hours at a time. Got some Merc ( Quicksilver ) for free, smelled less than Amsoil and went with that for 8 yrs.? Never had a problem. Now days I run a 4 stroke kicker for back trolling so there's that.. Now I have a Merc Optimax 2 stroke that runs 100/1 only run Merc DFI oil . No problems and likely never will .

I have been using Stihl oil for nearly 20 years in my MS250 and followed their 50:1 rule for their oil. I recently decided to stop using their Ultra and have decided on a semi-synthetic either from Castrol: Activ 2T (claims JASO FD but shows as FC on the official list) or Penrite semi-synthetic which claims to meet FC but not on the JASO list.
Thing is, I think Stihl are still saying that it's 50:1 for their oil and 25:1 for any other brand yet I see nowhere on this site on all the many oil discussions, where anyone has said that they are using 25:1 for anything.

Should I now be using 25:1 or is what Stihl really implying is that their oils are so much better than anyone else's that you need to use double of theirs ie is this just subtle marketing or sound advice from them?
Hey mate, just saw this post.

For what its worth, I have been using Castrol 2t (blue) and 2tActive (red) for years at 150mls oil to 5lts of 91 unleaded in my saws, thats around 32:1.

no fouled plugs, or exhaust screens, works fine.
both castrol and penrite are good oils, you will be fine using them, I offer the suggestion to mix the above ratio.

Most saw manufacturers, husky and stihl included have said in many saw manuals to run their oils at 50:1, and any other oil at 25:1, purely due to the fact that they dont know what other oil your going to choose, so it gives them a safety margin for your saw, and makes their oil look good :).

I bet there is some real junk FD rated oil too. What is the difference between FB and FD? D has detergent? Is that all? I started running some Stihl orange bottle. It smokes a little more but started laughing when I saw it cause it was so little it didnt matter. I bet money I could run my 32 yr. old Stihl 034 for another 10 yrs. with Stihl orange bottle and I bet the engine will still be good. We way the hell over think oil . I went from the cheapest crap I could find in 1989 with my 1st Stihl 011. I ran it very hard cause it was too small. Ran it for years , gave it to my dad. Not sure what happened to it. Ran my 034 for years on cheap stuff , never had a problem , then ran Amsoil Saber 100/1 for about a decade, never had a problem . This spring I tried some Stihl Orange , no problems yet and when it's gone I will go back to Amsoil Saber 50/1 or maybe Castrol. ( Let me guess , someone here will say it's junk). I ran my 1983 25 horse Merc 100/1 with the cheapest junk I could find ( Shipmate brand) then Amsoil 100/1 , merc 100/1 , then went to Amsoil Saber outboard 128/1 cause I back troll for hours at a time and the smoke got me dizzy from back trolling into the wind for hours at a time. Got some Merc ( Quicksilver ) for free, smelled less than Amsoil and went with that for 8 yrs.? Never had a problem. Now days I run a 4 stroke kicker for back trolling so there's that.. Now I have a Merc Optimax 2 stroke that runs 100/1 only run Merc DFI oil . No problems and likely never will .
Simply put no, if it's on the jaso list as an fd oil it's not "junk". The differences between oil classes has been posted many, many, many times.

Latest posts

Back