Need way to connect diesel engine to chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
icontreeservice
Hello everyone!
I am looking for input on adapting a perkins diesel from a tractor to directly power an 8" woodland mills pto chipper.
The problem I am facing is that the bell housing from the tractor stays with the tranny, leaving me with just the pressure plate on my engine.

I have heard of industrial bell housings which sound like the right piece of "lego" to put on, but they are hard to find here, and I would still need either a clutch or flex plate to connect. I can't seem to find a place to buy a flex plate or such that would take a shaft, let aside a direct mount pulley.

Has anyone tackled something like this re-powering a regular chipper?

Thanks!

northmanlogging
Hello everyone!
I am looking for input on adapting a perkins diesel from a tractor to directly power an 8" woodland mills pto chipper.
The problem I am facing is that the bell housing from the tractor stays with the tranny, leaving me with just the pressure plate on my engine.

I have heard of industrial bell housings which sound like the right piece of "lego" to put on, but they are hard to find here, and I would still need either a clutch or flex plate to connect. I can't seem to find a place to buy a flex plate or such that would take a shaft, let aside a direct mount pulley.

Has anyone tackled something like this re-powering a regular chipper?

Thanks!
https://www.advanceadapters.com/probably your best bet is to get ahold of these folks and see what they can do for you.
Or look for a Twin disc PTO output,
OR.. find a boat with a perkins diesel in it and steal the trans unit
Orrrr run a V belt of the front end of the crank, probably your easiest path to success

icontreeservice
Thanks for the replies! The boat option sounds interesting, come to think of it I've seen a couple of marine diesels come up cheap ish on kijiji in the past. I think I'll explore that option as well as Advance adapters.
If I can put this all together for under $10,000 it is worth it, otherwise I should probably wait for an old vermeer, morbark or bandit

CTH-SXL

CTH-SXL

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks for the replies! The boat option sounds interesting, come to think of it I've seen a couple of marine diesels come up cheap ish on kijiji in the past. I think I'll explore that option as well as Advance adapters.
If I can put this all together for under $10,000 it is worth it, otherwise I should probably wait for an old vermeer, morbark or bandit
This Chipper uses a 540 RPM PTO drive . If you direct couple it to an engine , you will be idling the engine and have no power . Looking at the
picture of the Chipper , you could direct couple the flywheel of the Chipper to your engine and run it at 1100 RPM , but they recommend a
minimum of 35 horsepower . A 2 to 1 (or so) speed reducer coupled directly to the Chipper flywheel would allow the engine to run in the 2200 RPM range for the best power . You don't say what Perkins diesel engine you are wanting to use , but there are speed/power charts available to see if this engine has the horsepower needed .
Charles

Edit : You will also need to see if the starter mounts to the engine block or the bellhousing .

icontreeservice
Thanks for digging into the chipper side, You are right about the 540rpm. The pulleys they use are both 2" shaft, so if i was able to couple to the lower shaft I would have switched them around or gotten different ones since at least they are off the shelf items. If I find a used 2to1 trany I'd be set as well, one guy quoted me $7000 for a new one!

I haven't bought the engine yet, there are a few between 50 and 60 hp, I was thinking parting a tractor was handy since it gives me the rad, tank, throttle controls all ready to go, but am now wondering if I am kidding myself and should look for something that comes with the industrial pto even if it costs more
This Chipper uses a 540 RPM PTO drive . If you direct couple it to an engine , you will be idling the engine and have no power . Looking at the
picture of the Chipper , you could direct couple the flywheel of the Chipper to your engine and run it at 1100 RPM , but they recommend a
minimum of 35 horsepower . A 2 to 1 (or so) speed reducer coupled directly to the Chipper flywheel would allow the engine to run in the 2200 RPM range for the best power . You don't say what Perkins diesel engine you are wanting to use , but there are speed/power charts available to see if this engine has the horsepower needed .
Charles

Edit : You will also need to see if the starter mounts to the engine block or the bellhousing .

Latest posts