Retirement age for arborists

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ed Penney

Ed Penney

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
LOL, Harbor Freight, they have lights on them, but the batteries cost more than the magnifier, I don't use the lights. I use it under my shop lights. I use it alot especially on carbs. It was under 10 bucks. I remember Starrett had one years ago but it was real optical glass and it was like way expensive.

chainbrake

chainbrake

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
What gloves do you use to keep your hands warm at sub-zero F temperatures?
I'm pretty lucky, I run pretty hot in my extremities. The best gloves I have ever had for flexibility, durability, dealing with wetness and keeping my hands warm were elk hide with thermal lining. Lately, I haven't been able to find them, so I look for lined larger-sized deer hide. This year, I just got some new thermal lined foam latex outer for those really wet days that I find myself getting my hands in a lot of snow. In winter, I keep an assortment in my truck, and a spare pair in one jacket pocket and a toque in another. It's always nice to have the right glove for the job, and to change out if they get too wet. It only takes 15 seconds to change a pair of gloves, and keep moving.

I go through gloves! I am a building contractor who puts up staging/scaffolding, lays brick/block, bangs on shingles and throws up wooden frames in every kind of weather. For my relaxing down-time, I fell trees and make firewood - mostly for our own consumption, but I have been known to donate a cord or two to someone who is having difficulty making ends meet.

I do have a pair of seal-skin gloves with the fur on the tops that are too warm for me. When it is in the -30 and colder range, I can put on a pair of leather Ice-fishing mitts that have an index finger and a thumb with the rest of the other 3 fingers all in one group. I find that if I keep my core really warm (layers), thin gloves usually work down to -5F (-20C) (depending on the wind and moisture).

Latest posts