Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this toy is about done, maybe add a bi-pod

Thinking I need to get the reloading going again, want to try and dial in the 7-08 a bit better

And then…. a .243 Remington 700 fell in my lap for a price I couldn’t say no to….

I dunno what’s worse cad or gad, I still need to put the 272xp back together…..

Oh and the other handful of saws I’ve been neglecting

🤣🤦‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
IMG_7161.jpeg

Usually, you can clean up the cylinder, buy a Meteor Piston and be back in business. However, first you have to find out why it is burning up. Sounds like either an air leak, or the carb is adjusted too lean (the Hi needle). Luckily, 046s are easy to work on.

Check all your rubber first ... fuel line, impulse line and carb boot. Your seals may also be bad, but often that means the bearings are bad, and the case has to be split.

I did just replace the seals once on my 044 (the bearings were good).

Often if a saw feels "too strong", it is running too lean.
If it’s a screamer, it’s a LEANer

I had a Garmin hand held gps years ago. Think it was called a trex or Trax. Was pretty decent. Map left a snail trail wherever you walked. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I'm certain it wasn't real expensive. Biggest downside to it was it was only as accurate as how ever Many satellites you could hook up too, needed at least 3 or 4 to work. I'm sure they still make something like it.
I’m pretty sure uncle Mustang had a garmin years ago, it had settable “waypoints” just like my hunting app

Shame no cell service, my OnX app is a Game Changer!

Things, recreational wise, are slowing down, so I'll start a thread on it in a month or so when I start to work on it. Thanks
There are tons of info on it out there if you search. I've also resurrected a lot of them so don't be afraid to ask.

If the problem is not obvious, conducting a pressure / vac test is invaluable, but start with the simple stuff.

For example, have you checked the carb setting? An 046 carb should not have limiters (unless it has been replaced). Check the Hi screw first (top left). Gently turn it all the way in (clockwise) keeping track of how far you turn it till it bottoms. If it is not close to a full turn out (or more) that could well be your problem.

Springs keep the old needle valves from moving. New springs DO NOT come in a rebuilding kit. I had to order them from a Stihl Dealer (they were only 50 cents each a decade or so ago). If vibrations are making your valves move, you need new springs. A full carb rebuild would also be a good idea. Old diaphragms get stiff and don't work right (your impulse line works as an air pump that makes the carburetor work). If the diaphragms are stiff, you don't get enough fuel.

Next, pull the muffler and see if your piston / cylinder is scored. If it is only scored on the exhaust side, that is a heat (or lean) problem. If it is scored on both the intake and exhaust sides, it was likely straight gassed. Running it with a bad cylinder (scoring) can make it go bad fast. Also, if you pull the recoil slowly you should be able to feel the compression. If it is lacking, don't overlook simple stuff like a loose sparkplug.

I’m pretty sure uncle Mustang had a garmin years ago, it had settable “waypoints” just like my hunting app

Shame no cell service, my OnX app is a Game Changer!
The Garmin worked well but was sometimes very slow. I was hoping there were newer / better things out there.

I carry it for emergencies, but rarely use it. Just takes too long to acquire the satellites.

There are tons of info on it out there if you search. I've also resurrected a lot of them so don't be afraid to ask.

If the problem is not obvious, conducting a pressure / vac test is invaluable, but start with the simple stuff.

For example, have you checked the carb setting? An 046 carb should not have limiters (unless it has been replaced). Check the Hi screw first (top left). Gently turn it all the way in (clockwise) keeping track of how far you turn it till it bottoms. If it is not close to a full turn out (or more) that could well be your problem.

Springs keep the old needle valves from moving. New springs DO NOT come in a rebuilding kit. I had to order them from a Stihl Dealer (they were only 50 cents each a decade or so ago). If vibrations are making your valves move, you need new springs. A full carb rebuild would also be a good idea. Old diaphragms get stiff and don't work right (your impulse line works as an air pump that makes the carburetor work). If the diaphragms are stiff, you don't get enough fuel.

Next, pull the muffler and see if your piston / cylinder is scored. If it is only scored on the exhaust side, that is a heat (or lean) problem. If it is scored on both the intake and exhaust sides, it was likely straight gassed. Running it with a bad cylinder (scoring) can make it go bad fast. Also, if you pull the recoil slowly you should be able to feel the compression. If it is lacking, don't overlook simple stuff like a loose sparkplug.
The piston is definitely scored. I knew that when I bought it. I pulled the muffler then and checked, but in my ignorance, didn't think it was too bad. So I bought it anyway. I live in the St. Louis metro area and not too many saws come up for sale. So when I found this 70cc+ saw, I made the 120 mile round trip for it. Impulsive, yes I know.

When I first started it today, I pulled on it and it was pretty hard. Until I remembered the decomp button. My other saw doesn't have one.

When I start working on it, I'll keep what you suggested in mind.
Thanks

Hey guys. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here.

Looking for recommendation for a handheld GPS (for land use, not water). I am more or less looking for a small landmark in a chunk of very heavily wooded land and want to trace my steps so I am not missing any ground or repeating myself. No cell service in given area so phone apps are not helpful.

Any suggestions?

Phone map apps like OnX do not need cell service. You can download the map you need ahead of time and the app overlays your GPS position onto the map stored on your phone.

When you get out there, you only need your phones' location service on. No cell service required.

You can also mark waypoints and places of interest on the map using their website. They are then synced to the map you download on your phone.

It's similar to what I do when elk hunting out west.

if you use your phone for this task, make sure you bring an external battery pack and a charging cord.

Back