Rounding out my collection - small CC Stihls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For small stuff, dirty stuff, roots, can't beat a pruning blade in a battery reciprocating saw.
DeWalt reciprocating saw is a beast. Got a cheap set of old 18V DeWalt tools for my dad he never used anything but the drill from so I got the 20V battery adapter for them to go with my 20V batteries and took the reciprocating and circular saw for myself. Saw some videos of cutting fairly heavy metal pipe with a carbide blade and didn't believe they could actually cut thicker metal that well but man they're impressive with those carbide blades. Go through half inch solid rod like nothing and great for flushcutting any old metal pipes set in concrete (clotheslines, etc) you want to get rid of. And good with pruning blades around the yard and like you say, on roots.

DeWalt reciprocating saw is a beast. Got a cheap set of old 18V DeWalt tools for my dad he never used anything but the drill from so I got the 20V battery adapter for them to go with my 20V batteries and took the reciprocating and circular saw for myself. Saw some videos of cutting fairly heavy metal pipe with a carbide blade and didn't believe they could actually cut thicker metal that well but man they're impressive with those carbide blades. Go through half inch solid rod like nothing and great for flushcutting any old metal pipes set in concrete (clotheslines, etc) you want to get rid of. And good with pruning blades around the yard and like you say, on roots.
Yeh the various demolition blades, metal cutters for reciprocaters, circular saws............. are absolutely fantastic compared to what they were 15,-20 years ago.

There are many models of non professional stihl, husqavarna, echo and others that have the longevity of a pro saw. Personally have a 180 I've ran the snot out of for 18 years. Pro saws have higher power to weight, response time, ease of field maintenance.............., but don't necessarily last longer.
Lucky you. I have killed a stihl 170, stihl 180 and husky 135, each lasting 2-5 years and difficult to repair.

I have an 024 AV super, and found it's nothing special. The 025 and ms250 seem just as fast and they weigh a pound less. They also have a proper carb choke setup vs the weird in the filter setup of the 024. The 025/250 are a pain to assemble if you need to rebuild one though. The intake boot and the av grommets in particular.

Latest posts

Back