Hi from Pennsylvania! Not new to milling but, I started at rock bottom. Husqvarna Rancher 460 w/20" bar and the smallest mill Granberg makes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PennWilds

PennWilds

Looking to get much more serious and would like some guidance on my next setup. Currently looking a the Husqvarna 592 XP w/ 36" bar. Primarily mill hardwoods...and nothing too crazy on width. Which Granberg Mill setup do you recommend with this? Also, should I be looking at a longer bar than 36?
Thanks for your time and consideration.

sean donato

sean donato

Chainsaws are like crack... just can't get enough.
. AS Supporting Member.
This is one of the few times I'd favor a regular carb saw over an auto tune. I'd be looking at the 395xp, ms661 or larger. Parts are cheap,and easy to get / work on.
36" bar with a clamp on set up you'll get ~30" worth of cut in the mill. I can just get a bit over 31" on my 394xp with a 36". Ended up buying a 40" bar.
Other will chime in, I don't use my mill much anymore.

Lightning Performance

Lightning Performance

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
This is one of the few times I'd favor a regular carb saw over an auto tune. I'd be looking at the 395xp, ms661 or larger. Parts are cheap,and easy to get / work on.
36" bar with a clamp on set up you'll get ~30" worth of cut in the mill. I can just get a bit over 31" on my 394xp with a 36". Ended up buying a 40" bar.
Other will chime in, I don't use my mill much anymore.
Then sell me your stuffs.

Lightning Performance

Lightning Performance

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Looking to get much more serious and would like some guidance on my next setup. Currently looking a the Husqvarna 592 XP w/ 36" bar. Primarily mill hardwoods...and nothing too crazy on width. Which Granberg Mill setup do you recommend with this? Also, should I be looking at a longer bar than 36?
Thanks for your time and consideration.
Get a 42" bar to run on your 36" mill. It should pull full comp chain with a muffler mod. Carbs you tune are better on the mill imho.

Lightning Performance

Lightning Performance

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
I use it on occasion, basically if I'm in a hurry or it's too big to fit in my cousins mill. Though honesty, I just make a call to my logging buddy and I can get whatever i want milled at very reasonable costs.
I have 32" band now so only looking for the biggest gear and bars. Have not filled my gap between the 60 and 42s. Five CSMs should be enough 🧐. The big oak logs will all go on the bandmill once they get broken down a bit. The big stuff over 32" is still going to be chain milled into table tops. Considering building a quarter saw bar rig for taking out pie cuts to put right on the band.

Latest posts