Job: Oak? Deduction: Need a bigger saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewis16

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Had a little job today, helped a chap cut a load of what I think was oak up. He had been given it and he had left it for a while and when I saw him out there struggling with a poulan chainsaw which was nice and dull I offered to lend a hand, had some cups of tea and had a chat and made a friend so it was a good day.

Equipment is nothing special, stihl ms230 with a 16 inch bar and chain. Good saw in all but perhaps lacking in power for some of the hardwoods, is lovely for silver birch and leylandii and the likes. Had a good go at hand sharpening with a guide and did quite well I think (experts im sure will notify me if otherwise) but I think all in all I did well. Thats 1/2 in total I think, the rest I finished for him afterwards.

hONIlVf.jpg

CTj6dsx.jpg

6OpsXEg.jpg

Very nice..

Wood looks pretty nice as well. About the only Oak I have in my area is about 1/4 that diameter and Mesquite....very dense wood.

Check this out. Had a family helping had job a few weeks ago and again helped last Sunday. Large oak, felled by a third party and in the process of being carved up for firewood.

My cousin (pictured grinning) with his trusty 135, and my ms230 both with 16" bars so we are doing our best with what we have and they are getting results albeit at a slower pace. Even more fascinating as this job has led to Ryan (grinning chap) to buy a second have 372xp just to carve it up. And I'm on the hunt for able saw now. Damn you jealousy/CAD

eac7730cd0bbbe9378beae15bbef875b.jpg
3f084064f54df3fe3c0cb7803ef2c6d3.jpg
82904e62e8553fcd0527a879d65f5932.jpg

I like cants better, and they must be very sharp.

mvnjbk.jpg

The blue one is OK, but hasn't been modded yet. That jack thingee is taken off and has never been used, gets in the way.

24e4cgz.jpg

Latest posts

Back