How to protect drill hole/cuts in tree from neighbor's bleach/poison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharna brockett

Reaction score
I have a 30-foot Ficus street in front of my apartment building in San Francisco. One of my neighbors is trying to kill it by drilling holes and cutting into it. I believe that they are pouring bleach or some type of poison into the hole and underneath the bark. I've tried to protect it by covering it/filling the hole with candle wax along with filing a police report and putting up a sign asking neighbors to report anyone they see messing with it. It has stopped for now but is there is some type of covering I can put on it to protect this part of the tree in case they come back with more bleach, etc.? Something that would require them to work at pulling it off or cutting it away so that they would think twice. The canopy is healthy and I had it trimmed last summer but I'm worried about this vulnerable spot on the true.

Any advice is much appreciated. Photos of the damage the have done is included below.

Attachments

• photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 398
  • photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 158
Shrink wrap it then smear tangle foot all over the shrink wrap. Whoever comes in contact with it will have a sticky gooey mess on them, their clothes and tools. It will probably catch more than just the guilty parties though since it's a street tree.

The hole doesn't look drilled, to kill a fig you are going to need more than a shallow notch made with a hand saw. Thinking that it was cut for some other reason, third would immigrants use Ficus sap for odd uses. Why do you think bleach has been used? One would have to pour gallons of concentrate around the stump to be harmful. Don't cover or apply any thing leave as is it will heal, being less paranoid = happier life.

Sharna, those pics show that you have a cause to be concerned. Steel mesh like chicken wire could work to keep dogs and other poisoners way, but the signs and cameras are good ideas too.

Call this number and ask for Urban Forestry, (415) 554-6920. I know someone over there and they take things like this very seriously if the tree is city property.

photo-3-jpg.381334

When the mischievous tree saboteurs around me want to criminally poison a street tree. They take the time & effort to square off the conventional notch before the application.

Rain, I'm not a criminal psychologist, but I think they're pretty random, and besides, things are not always as they appear.

What looks like a notch to you and me might just be the quickest way to the heart of the tree with the tools in the criminal's hands.

Seer, I agree there is a cause for concern, tree has been vandalized.
Making the leap & saying it's being poisoned is too large of a gap for me, need more info. The Ficus is a street tree, the OP has no claim. No motive to kill this tree, conflicts with neighbors %99.9 of the time involve property line trees.
Herbicides needed to do grave harm by pouring into a trunk wound are not available to the public. The small cavity exposed by the notch was not drilled. The bleached appearance to the cut area is most likely from the ficus sap flow.
The notch was made for a reason, maybe as a step up for climbing the tree,(think peeping tom).

I have a 30-foot Ficus street in front of my apartment building in San Francisco. One of my neighbors is trying to kill it by drilling holes and cutting into it. I believe that they are pouring bleach or some type of poison into the hole and underneath the bark. I've tried to protect it by covering it/filling the hole with candle wax along with filing a police report and putting up a sign asking neighbors to report anyone they see messing with it. It has stopped for now but is there is some type of covering I can put on it to protect this part of the tree in case they come back with more bleach, etc.? Something that would require them to work at pulling it off or cutting it away so that they would think twice. The canopy is healthy and I had it trimmed last summer but I'm worried about this vulnerable spot on the true.

Any advice is much appreciated. Photos of the damage the have done is included below.
Security camera!

Lol, who knows why some nut-job sawed that notch. Just making wild guesses, harvesting ficus latex, step up for a tree climbing pervert or maybe some needed a door stop. So many times I've heard the accusation "my neighbor is trying to kill my tree". After an investigation it's rarely the case.

Then again lots of poisoning cases are not prosecuted because of expense or accuser loses stamina. The one in the attached got bogged down in hearings, last I heard.

Attachments

• Detective Dendro - The Case of the Arrested Araucaria.pdf
    447.2 KB · Views: 17
The hole doesn't look drilled, to kill a fig you are going to need more than a shallow notch made with a hand saw. Thinking that it was cut for some other reason, third would immigrants use Ficus sap for odd uses. Why do you think bleach has been used? One would have to pour gallons of concentrate around the stump to be harmful. Don't cover or apply any thing leave as is it will heal, being less paranoid = happier life.
Trees seal...they dont heal

photo-3-jpg.381334

When the mischievous tree saboteurs around me want to criminally poison a street tree. They take the time & effort to square off the conventional notch before the application.
very odd that there is minimal sap present?? an its plain to see the drill hole

very odd that there is minimal sap present?? an its plain to see the drill hole

yes that is surprising a ficus would generally weep more sap from even a small bark cut, i know its all over me doing small small uplift trim.

Gee may get some off side but a Ficus sp unknown as street tree not ideal yes a lot depends upon the actual species vs areas space ( in open large parks land they are magnificent ) but the likely impact upon road kerb underground services etc means this not a tree i would advocate as best for a compact city such as San Fran. This don't lessen the willful vandalism by chap but I my self not be too troubled depending upon circumstance...Just last week i was looking a 20 foot Ficus macrophylla in nature strip ( an indoor pot plant escaped ) wondering how long i can let it go till it jacks up the road kerb and water mains.

Back