Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut this recently died red oak, and split and stacked it in place where it will season till ready. I make these 1 cord stacks and leave them, tucked, out of sight, and out of the way. It is easy for me to keep track of my reserve, and easy enough for me to access them with my ATV and trailer when they are ready. I will serve no firewood before it's time.

P1070319.JPG

All straight grain Red Oak, split with the x27, my portable wood processing system

16e3e79a9749ed96f72235d8724c05cc.jpg

6acae3050a2e11d87ecfb765b8d173e8.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/26/fcf
[IMG]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/26/2497850aab867331464565da250fee78.jpg
d8ebcb24b2bd78b3e251686ff465b7b0.jpg

Sent from my full chisel XT910

I cut this recently died red oak, and split and stacked it in place where it will season till ready. I make these 1 cord stacks and leave them, tucked, out of sight, and out of the way. It is easy for me to keep track of my reserve, and easy enough for me to access them with my ATV and trailer when they are ready. I will serve no firewood before it's time.

View attachment 382157

All straight grain Red Oak, split with the x27, my portable wood processing system
Do you purposely stack bark down?

For the most part, I do. Over 90% of it is bark-side down. To be honest, this was an unusual tree, most of what I process has no bark left. But, even then, the exposed center is stacked "face up".View attachment 382337
I don't make a point of stacking bark up or down but I subconsciously stack bark up. Has that debate been settled whether up or down is better.:laugh:

I don't make a point of stacking bark up or down but I subconsciously stack bark up. Has that debate been settled whether up or down is better.:laugh:

I like bark down for most of it, and the top bark up. I like how bark up sheds rainwater off the top of the stack (done correctly like shingles), and bark down for most of the rest because condensation/dew water will get in there a little, freeze a few times, and bust it loose (along with the regular drying, etc). Then before it comes into the house, a few whacks together and it should all or mostly fall off.

Can't always do the stack that way, but like it when I can.

I don't go way out of my way to lose the bark, but if it comes off easy, swell.

Well I've gotten a good start for campfire wood for the next year. It only needs to be down to around 24% for descent campfires and no complaints.
20141214_131917.jpg
20141214_131917.jpg
20141214_131917.jpg 20141214_131835.jpg 20141214_131847.jpg 20141214_131835.jpg
Mostly pin, burr oak , locust and ash. A couple more weeks of weather like we've been having and I'll have it made! I'd like to do 7,000-8,000 bundles this year! Probably wishful thinking. Ran into a new place to cut with some oak that is incredible! Try and get some pics after the holidays.

Well I've gotten a good start for campfire wood for the next year. It only needs to be down to around 24% for descent campfires and no complaints.

Mostly pin, burr oak , locust and ash. A couple more weeks of weather like we've been having and I'll have it made! I'd like to do 7,000-8,000 bundles this year! Probably wishful thinking. Ran into a new place to cut with some oak that is incredible! Try and get some pics after the holidays.

Wish I had a market for that many bundles! I'd be a wrappin fo! hahaha
think I sold hmmmabout 7-8 bundles so far this season, slow ain't the word for it. There's twice as many guys selling firewood this year it seems, see stacks for sale in peoples yards all over, and except for a short cold snap two months ago, it has been mild, real mild really. Cool enough for little fires, but that's it.

Wish I had a market for that many bundles! I'd be a wrappin fo! hahaha
think I sold hmmmabout 7-8 bundles so far this season, slow ain't the word for it. There's twice as many guys selling firewood this year it seems, see stacks for sale in peoples yards all over, and except for a short cold snap two months ago, it has been mild, real mild really. Cool enough for little fires, but that's it.
Zogger, I am fortunate that I have a good in with the gov' officials in the area. They run three different parks out of this office and I have the benefit of being the supplier for all of them. The reason I get to do this is because I take care of getting rid of the trees/limbs that blow down or need to be removed for safety reasons throughout the year and keep the hunting trails opened up as well, supplying the split campfire wood out of this. Sure there is some junk wood, but it's just for campfires, needs to lite up, look and smell good. Really turns out to be win/win I think.

100_1556.JPG A look inside the woodshed(notice the condensation on the roof? NOT good, need to open things up) These stacks are 16 foot long, 6 1/2 ft tall at the back, 7 1/2 at the front, about 12 feet wide(7 or 8 stacks, i've lost count) I have a load on the truck now that's going in there today. I have about 4 more full rows on the other side of the shed.

View attachment 388846 A look inside the woodshed(notice the condensation on the roof? NOT good, need to open things up) These stacks are 16 foot long, 6 1/2 ft tall at the back, 7 1/2 at the front, about 12 feet wide(7 or 8 stacks, i've lost count) I have a load on the truck now that's going in there today. I have about 4 more full rows on the other side of the shed.
That is a nice looking ahead you got there I opened mine up on both ends it still sweats only when we don't have a little wind.

That is a nice looking ahead you got there I opened mine up on both ends it still sweats only when we don't have a little wind.

Yeah, my sides are all a "tarp" like material and I've gottem' all down tight,,I've been lucky to be cutting some red oak that is still pretty wet. I've thought about a couple more 8 foot sliding doors to make it easier to "open up",,I may do that when I (IF) I ever get metal sides on it,,thanks for the comment.

Latest posts

Back