stihl 025 sprocket problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talbertjm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a question about an older model stihl, 025, 18 inch bar chainsaw. Today I was cutting away and the chain locked up on me. The bar is brand new, stihl brand, chain is new also. I took the bar off and tried to spin the sprocket on the clutch. It is very, very, very hard to turn. I had to use a pair of pliers to turn it. Its not moving freely. Now, the chain was hot to touch, but not hot enough to where I COULDN'T keep my hand on it. I also ran the saw up against the wall to see how much oil was coming off, and it was noticable, but not pouring off. Like I said, the chain was hot after I was cutting, but I could keep my hand on it. Why did the sprocket lock up?

yes, the chainbreak was working, i just went out to check and now it is moving freely. I can attest earlier it was locked up. does the oiler work with the clutch? i feel like an idiot now. The chain stopped moving while I was cutting. Otherwise I wouldn't of took it apart to check it out.

seriously that screams bearing issue. usually clutch drum bearings are lubed by squirting some grease in that end of crankshaft. try that and then run it again

the fact that he took b+c off and tried to turn clutch drum eliminates all other possibilities (except maybe sticky clutch shoes? very uncommon but worth checking i suppose)

Yes the oiler runs off the drum. I'd pull it apart and check it out real good to make sure all is right.

Okay thank you. I will take it apart and take a looksie. As far as the oil goes, one says its not oiling enough, and one says it is. How does everybody else's oil?

thank you for the replies!!!

with bar and chain, at WOT, with bar tip pointed at a surface a few inches away, (cardboard..) you should see a noticeable oil line after 10-20 seconds (assuming proper weight oil and whatnot).
Look for "blueing" of clutch drum and bearing when you take apart, which indicates it overheated.

Took the clip off and inspected the clutch, the clutch hub, and needle bearing. No sign of bluing or overheating. The needle bearing was dry as a bone. Cleaned and greased, put all back together. Ran for awhile, and seems to be working okay. I may have tripped the chain break, don't think I did, but we'll see. Thanks for all the input, but this weekend

I sold a saw to a guy a while back. Took it to his place and we cut up part of a tree together. Everything was fine. A few weeks later, he called me up and said the chain wouldn't move at all. I started asking him several things about whether it was smoking, whether the saw was running and revving OK, etc. Nothing seemed to make sense. Then it hit me. I asked him to pull the chainbrake lever back. It was off to the races!
Just hope that's all it is - a REALLY easy fix!

I hope your right, and I tripped the chain brake. I sure hate to have to go buy a new one. I love this saw, been such a good saw. The neighbor wants to use mine instead of his big husky, rancher 460.

Latest posts

Back