Chipper Choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hseII

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What is the best all around Chipper Size?

I'm looking for a chipper to start off with that will suit the needs of a small operation for a while- what do I need to look for? Brand, size, options, features,etc.

What brands, sizes, features... do I need to steer clear of?

Thank You,
HEath

That is totally depends on what you'r trying to do, how and where you want to operate and what you budget is.

Every region has its brand preference mostly based on whats available locally and the quality of the dealer service. For the most part the Bandit 250 is by far the most popular tree service chipper ever built. The Bandit 200 is the most popular municipal and utility hydraulic chipper.
If you want to load with a Bobcat you will want something a bit bigger with a fixed feed table and hydraulic lift. At $30k you need to buy used.
The Morbark 13, 15 or 2400 with a fix table comes to mind. Some Bandit 1890 come with fixed tables but now your getting into some real money. You can also reenforce the table on any chipper. You can rule out the Vermeer since the big ones have vertical feed, except for the 2100 and that is too much.
You need a fixed table because the folding table will get all torn up feeding with a Bobcat.
An older Morbark 13 is probably your best bet.

Every region has its brand preference mostly based on whats available locally and the quality of the dealer service. For the most part the Bandit 250 is by far the most popular tree service chipper ever built. The Bandit 200 is the most popular municipal and utility hydraulic chipper.
If you want to load with a Bobcat you will want something a bit bigger with a fixed feed table and hydraulic lift. At $30k you need to buy used.
The Morbark 13, 15 or 2400 with a fix table comes to mind. Some Bandit 1890 come with fixed tables but now your getting into some real money. You can also reenforce the table on any chipper. You can rule out the Vermeer since the big ones have vertical feed, except for the 2100 and that is too much.
You need a fixed table because the folding table will get all torn up feeding with a Bobcat.
An older Morbark 13 is probably your best bet.

That's the kind of info I'm looking for.
Thank You Sir

Hi Heath,

I hope you've been doing well.

Woodchuck's aren't a bad little chipper. Woodchuck was purchased by Altec and they have a tough time in the parts department. I can't tell by the photo what model this is. Matt made some good points. Another thing to consider is if you're going to sell your logs. If not, you'll need a bigger chipper. The Woodchuck in the photo is a 12" chipper. You'll also have to consider if you'll be splitting any wood into firewood as well. Anything over 12" will have to be put in the chip box truck creating less load capacity due to the air voids. I don't know if you looked at our 2005 Morbark 2400XL which is an 18" chipper with a fixed infeed. I'll take $27,000 without the winch and $29,000 with (plus tax). In my opinion you can't go wrong with an 18" chipper. If you go smaller and you find that it isn't big enough, you'll be purchasing another chipper.

Did you call Jon?

Thanks,

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Hi Heath,

I hope you've been doing well.

Woodchuck's aren't a bad little chipper. Woodchuck was purchased by Altec and they have a tough time in the parts department. I can't tell by the photo what model this is. Matt made some good points. Another thing to consider is if you're going to sell your logs. If not, you'll need a bigger chipper. The Woodchuck in the photo is a 12" chipper. You'll also have to consider if you'll be splitting any wood into firewood as well. Anything over 12" will have to be put in the chip box truck creating less load capacity due to the air voids. I don't know if you looked at our 2005 Morbark 2400XL which is an 18" chipper with a fixed infeed. I'll take $27,000 without the winch and $29,000 with (plus tax). In my opinion you can't go wrong with an 18" chipper. If you go smaller and you find that it isn't big enough, you'll be purchasing another chipper.

Did you call Jon?

Thanks,

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400
Hello Dave,
I did.
He put me on track. I will look at the 18".

Thank You,
HEath

Woodchucks are ok but worth far less then Bandits. I seem to see a lot with bad bearings and engines.
The 2400 is a good machine but at 12,000 lbs its requires a CDL to tow. For a first chipper is would be rather overwhelming I would think.
When it comes to feed mechanically, the bigger the better.

Hi Matt,

I took the 2400XL single axle and we had it weighed and it came in at 9,400 lbs. when it was hooked up to a truck. The tongue weight is 1,000 lbs. The tandem axle will be around the 12,0000 mark. Usually DOT doesn't have the driver remove it from the truck when weighing here in Georgia.

Have a great day.

Dave

Hi Matt,

I took the 2400XL single axle and we had it weighed and it came in at 9,400 lbs. when it was hooked up to a truck. The tongue weight is 1,000 lbs. The tandem axle will be around the 12,0000 mark. Usually DOT doesn't have the driver remove it from the truck when weighing here in Georgia.

Have a great day.

Dave
That's a Nice Chipper.
I'm going to have to work up to something that nice.

We've got a Woodchuck that needs some attention, namely an engine.

HEath

Heath,

You just can't put any engine in the chipper. I would rebuild the one in it. If it can't be rebuilt, you'll have to get the engine serial number, model number, and family number off of the old engine and look for an exact replacement. For example, Cummins might build 100 configurations of a 116hp engine. They make the engine to fit in a wood chipper, truck, loader, genset, etc. The mounting in these pieces of equipment will be different in all applications.

Call me if you have any questions and I can help direct you.

Dave

Heath,

You just can't put any engine in the chipper. I would rebuild the one in it. If it can't be rebuilt, you'll have to get the engine serial number, model number, and family number off of the old engine and look for an exact replacement. For example, Cummins might build 100 configurations of a 116hp engine. They make the engine to fit in a wood chipper, truck, loader, genset, etc. The mounting in these pieces of equipment will be different in all applications.

Call me if you have any questions and I can help direct you.

Dave
Thank You

Can't go wrong with a Morbark Model 290 with a 4BT Cummins for a used starter chipper.

I've got my eye on a hyroller with a 4bt basket case; Looking to be a good winter project.

The PO ran it hot?... Not sure about that one.

Anywho, I've got to get up a list and determine if the existing block and head is good, and if not, go from there.

Anything with an Inline Cummins is a positive as far as in concerned; and I was associated with CAT at one time....

Id take a Cummins over a perkipiller, and a Deere over anything! But you cant go wrong with a 4BT, airfilter maintenance is paramount when on a chipper as the 4bt's aftercooler clogs easily.

Having wrenched on most every brand of commercial chippers available, i would strongly suggest sticking to the big three..Morbark, Bandit, or Vermeer, leaning heavily towards Morbarks spec'd with Deere engines. Few things are better built than Morbark equipment and Deere diesels, imho.

We have a 1996 Vermeer bc1800 thats been working great for 12 years.it has a cummins 4bt and after 6000 hours runs great doesn't leak or smoke. Bought a morbark 13 project last year but haven't got around to fixing it yet. My guys love the vertical wheel setup in the Vermeer so we just bought a new bc1800 with john deere power this week.

Latest posts

Back