Learning to climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmasontreeservice

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all my name is Luke, I'm interested In learning the ropes of SRT climbing, I am currently in the tree care business but I've never learned to climb always used lifts. But I know to expand my business I need to take on some more difficult projects (back yards tight spots). Are there any good videos/publications on what basic equipment to buy also how-tos out there for someone who knows very little? Thank you in advance for replies and help.

Always baffles me how a guy runs a tree service and yet can't climb. If you search around even just a little bit on this site it will be easy to find the most recommended book anywhere for climbing. There are also good videos out there but not really beginner information in them. And forget about going srt until you have been climbing for awhile. You will kill yourself in a hurry if you make a mistake. Ddrt is much more forgiving than srt.

Did you have someone climbing for you? I'm with TC262 about running a tree service and unable to climb. Anyway, this guy is good to watch. http://www.climbingarborist.com Remember, low and slow, you will make mistakes especially without an instructor. Make sure you buy some tree climbing specific rope. Arborplex is a good economical rope. Something that I don't see mentioned enough is have two tie ins(rope and lanyard or two laynards spread apart) while cutting with a chainsaw. Make yourself up a double ended lanyard so you can stay tied in to the tree 100% of the time while spike climbing.

Thanks guys
Always baffles me how a guy runs a tree service and yet can't climb. If you search around even just a little bit on this site it will be easy to find the most recommended book anywhere for climbing. There are also good videos out there but not really beginner information in them. And forget about going srt until you have been climbing for awhile. You will kill yourself in a hurry if you make a mistake. Ddrt is much more forgiving than srt.

Yes I have one full time climber and a few part timers, my full time man is Good but he does not seem to want to teach me anything like I said maybe for fear of losing his job?
Did you have someone climbing for you? I'm with TC262 about running a tree service and unable to climb. Anyway, this guy is good to watch. http://www.climbingarborist.com Remember, low and slow, you will make mistakes especially without an instructor. Make sure you buy some tree climbing specific rope. Arborplex is a good economical rope. Something that I don't see mentioned enough is have two tie ins(rope and lanyard or two laynards spread apart) while cutting with a chainsaw. Make yourself up a double ended lanyard so you can stay tied in to the tree 100% of the time while spike climbing.

Hopefully you used the search button and found out about The Tree Climbers Companion. Has all the basic info you need to know about climbing. And mentioned above the climbing arborist does have some good instructional videos. My advice is buy good saddle and spurs the first time don't cheap out, you'll just be buying better stuff soon anyway.

^
[
QUOTE="jefflovstrom, post: 5043083, member: 3649"]Go and take a job at a quality tree care biz and learn how to climb and get rid of the partner,,
Maybe a long process but a better long term outcome from the way I see it.
Jeff :)[/QUOTE]

When the tree service fell into my lap, I didnt know how to climb either. I was a bucket baby. Quickly realizing that I needed to learn, I sought out the top guy who had kinda retired, he still did some side work for long term clients and family. Talked him into teaching me. He beat the **** out of me physically and mentally. But, he taught me well. The basic fundamental's that I still use today. He showed me the "ropes" and then sent me on my way. Ya gotta find a Jedi, not some young kid that has only been doing it a couple years but a master that has made a career out of it. He may be a aashole and scream at ya when ya f up, but like a good Marine D.I. they have a way of beating the knowledge into you.
The books are great, full of info and "tricks of the trade" But nothing replaces one on one training, a hardaas staring down at you from above.

The biggest fear I had was trusting my gear, he took care of that first thing, made me get up in a really big willow and then pushed me off a branch. I thought I was going to die, I swung out and around the tree, came flying back in and smacked the trunk. My wife was there and she, from that moment on, hated his guts. He looked down at me and said "u can swing a truck off that rope, you weigh a buck 25, quit thinking it is going to break if you put weight on it"

Now, many years later, my wife holds him in the same high regard that I do and is thankful that he was the aashole that he was.

Latest posts

Back