Homemade big shot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony.nihill

Reaction score
This is my big shot it can be adjusted from 5 to 10 ft and load with the rope and grab aimed and fired with the trigger I fitted
e44e06c20ad419d8b95aaa9e9dd996bc.jpg
552ca1d8560a96bdbe743f827ae6a870.jpg
2aba5dd44ab33d4f6243d6af1b6c864b.jpg
a2dcad3cbba4a03594beb8aaa3e3fb8f.jpg

I don't mean to piss on your parade but there is a very good chance its going to fail. One weak point I see is where the slingshot attaches to the handle in the pole. That plastic is not designed for the forces you will be applying to it. Worst case scenerio would be the head failing and coming into your face. Plastic surgery is very expensive. I say this because this happened to someone I worked with. When the head failed, it basically peeled back his left cheek off his face. He will always carry that scar with him. Be safe and buy one.

Lol. What were you thinking?? Just curious.
I bought a wrist rocket some trotline and a big nut. It only went up about 20' and got stuck on a little dead stick so I pull it and the stick breaks and the nut and stick comes shooting back at me and the stick pokes almost through my lip and the nut busts me in the lip too. I dont know what I was thinking.

I bought a wrist rocket some trotline and a big nut. It only went up about 20' and got stuck on a little dead stick so I pull it and the stick breaks and the nut and stick comes shooting back at me and the stick pokes almost through my lip and the nut busts me in the lip too. I dont know what I was thinking.

Lol.. did you have one of them rodeo lookin' shirts on when all this went down, cuz that would be just priceless!! Lmao...

LOL, I dont think so. We had a good laugh! I had to pull the stick out of my lip, it hurt like hell!

I think its really cool and intuitive and I love the rope grab/archery trigger release set up. However, I strongly agree with the previous posts about the strength and whats gonna happen when that head breaks. Just take it apart before someone gets hurt. And oh ya....thanks for sharing!

I think the potential failure point is the paint roller handle where the pin the holds the yoke comes out of the handle. The plastic of the handle isn't designed for those stresses. That will also give a catastrophic failure. If you can build a metal replacement handle then it would be much safer.

The second spot that I think is a potential failure point is where you've drilled a hole in the 'yoke'. I think if it fails here, it won't be as catastrophic, it will more bend and deform.

If you are going to use it as shown, make sure the yoke is facing down (underslung) so that if/when the paint roller handle fails, you'll get hit in the nuts and not in the face.

Back