Stihl recalls flippy caps!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the Husky/screw cap design better, but I've never had any operational trouble with the Stihl caps, although they seem to break down and leak sooner than they should. Big deal. If people don't like the Stihl design, just sell the saws and be done with it. Stop complaining and start an oil thread or something.

I had to replace one cap. That is out of a stable of 4 stihls that I have been running since the design first came out.

Harry K

Fun AS factoid. There are 54 threads with "flippy" in the title and 130 with "oil" in the title.

Carry on... o_O

no offense dude, but only an engineer could have trouble with a flippy cap.

I wondered how long it would take before getting slammed!!! :buttkick::laugh::laugh:

I may be an engineer, but I got a shotgun, a rifle, and a 4WD Diesel!! Yes, I'm just an old country boy!
I used to fight my chainsaws....until I learned the proper way to sharpen chains. Now cutting wood is fun!!!!
But, I still don't like flippy caps!:D

I think this is a quote from member C5rulz. I saw it somewhere a while back and copied it because it says exactly all that needs to be said about these stupid things. :clap:

"Flippy caps are the spawn of the devil. Stihl's answer to something that was not a problem. Who would have thunk a threaded cap with an O ring needs to be engineered into moving parts?"

I think this is a quote from member C5rulz. I saw it somewhere a while back and copied it because it says exactly all that needs to be said about these stupid things. :clap:

"Flippy caps are the spawn of the devil. Stihl's answer to something that was not a problem. Who would have thunk a threaded cap with an O ring needs to be engineered into moving parts?"

Agree! This issue begs the question, if STIHL can over-think and mess up such a basic and fundamental part, what other issues have they, or are they not getting right?

When it comes to design and engineering, does German arrogance have anything to do with it?

Agree! This issue begs the question, if STIHL can over-think and mess up such a basic and fundamental part, what other issues have they, or are they not getting right?

When it comes to design and engineering, does German arrogance have anything to do with it?

In my experience with working on many German made cars (including one i have now owned for 10 years) i would tend to have to agree to that. Like i said in a previous post in this thread they engineer and make great cars that drive well and handle well and have great fuel economy. But...... they are painful to work on and OEM parts cost a fortune. Some things are not well thought out and it can be very hard to carry out basic service tasks due to what could be put down to nothing else than poor design, or as you said plain old arrogance.

Example, my mates Volkswagen LWB 4x4 Van. 2.5 liter turbo diesel. He needed an oil change done and i said i would do it for him. I bought the filter and oil. Drained the oil and then went to remove the oil filter. No room to get a socket onto the nut on the filter cover. Socket on the handle only or with any of my 6 different length extensions. Plus the filter cover is at an angle to the block and not square on. Plus there are small diameter pipes in the road to allow me to get any leverage on the socket handle. Read up on the internet what to do. Needed to remove entire front bumper and then loosen radiator mounts to pivot radiator away and move several brackets holding piping and cables just to allow me to get the socket on to the oil filter cover. Entire oil change from start to finish took 3 hours! Asked a mate of mine who is a retired Volkswagen mechanic and he said that was pretty good time for that job without a hoist.

He needs to get the clutch done now as it is slipping badly and he cannot drive it and it is his work vehicle. I said don't ask me! His best priced quote including labour and parts is now running close to $5500. No mechanics want to touch it because it is so complex and such a PITA to work on.

In my experience with working on many German made cars (including one i have now owned for 10 years) i would tend to have to agree to that. Like i said in a previous post in this thread they engineer and make great cars that drive well and handle well and have great fuel economy. But...... they are painful to work on and OEM parts cost a fortune. Some things are not well thought out and it can be very hard to carry out basic service tasks due to what could be put down to nothing else than poor design, or as you said plain old arrogance.

Example, my mates Volkswagen LWB 4x4 Van. 2.5 liter turbo diesel. He needed an oil change done and i said i would do it for him. I bought the filter and oil. Drained the oil and then went to remove the oil filter. No room to get a socket onto the nut on the filter cover. Socket on the handle only or with any of my 6 different length extensions. Plus the filter cover is at an angle to the block and not square on. Plus there are small diameter pipes in the road to allow me to get any leverage on the socket handle. Read up on the internet what to do. Needed to remove entire front bumper and then loosen radiator mounts to pivot radiator away and move several brackets holding piping and cables just to allow me to get the socket on to the oil filter cover. Entire oil change from start to finish took 3 hours! Asked a mate of mine who is a retired Volkswagen mechanic and he said that was pretty good time for that job without a hoist.

He needs to get the clutch done now as it is slipping badly and he cannot drive it and it is his work vehicle. I said don't ask me! His best priced quote including labour and parts is now running close to $5500. No mechanics want to touch it because it is so complex and such a PITA to work on.

I have a 2003 BMW motorcycle. It's my first BMW m/c. Overall, I like it a lot. But, it has it's share of things that drive me nuts. Replacement parts are pricey and hard to get at times. BMW dealers are a whole other subject and can be assholes at times. Actually, more times than not.

Latest posts

Back