Grapple trucks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm going to be in the market for a grapple truck in the next 6 months with a budget of 40-60 thousand. What I'm finding is that Florida is the place to look. I don't mind the distance from MI as long as I find the right truck. Can I get some feedback on what dealers are good and which ones to stay away from? I want to stay as far away as possible from ones like TS in Pennsylvania.

grapple1.jpg grapple in action 2.jpg I shopped for a grapple truck for 2 years, before finding what I wanted at a reasonable price. I bought mine off of a Craigslist ad. It seemed to me that the trucks the dealers have were generally overpriced, had many defects covered over with fresh paint, or both. I would stay away from Florida trucks. Usually they are leftovers from previous hurricane cleanups and have been worked to death. They also usually have the beginnings of serious rust/rot issues.
Do some nationwide searches on Craigslist. You will usually find a small selection there, from private owners, that are usually in pretty good shape, at a reasonable price.
You don't say what type of grapple truck you are looking for. The single rear axle, light duty grapple trucks, usually started life as city-owned trucks for brush pickup. Online municipal auctions are a good place to find those. I am going to focus my business back to stump grinding and landclearing, so will probably sell my truck. however, I am way out here in Texas, probably a little further than you want to go for a truck.
good luck on your search.
Jeff

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking a single axle with a prentice grapple. Something with at least 6 foot walls would be nice. I would like an automatic transmission so the labor could drive it and I'm kind of partial to International. In magazines and online sites that I come across, they just seem to be predominately from the sunshine state. Can I ask how much you gave for yours?

Sure. I gave $17,000 for mine, then put another $3800 into hydraulic cyl. rebuilds on the boom. I knew it needed these repairs when I bought it. So, I have about $21,000 in it. It is super heavy duty throughout, with a GVW of 56,000, double cylinder hoist on bed, double frame, Hendrickson rear suspension, 25' IMT crane that will lift 4,000# at 20' reach, bypass grapple, 8LL trans., 20' long bed, Cat diesel, etc. I have seen trucks like mine advertised at over $30,000, which I think is way too high. So, watch what you pay for one of those lighter duty, single rear axle trucks, that you want. There has to be at least 75- 100 of those for sale across the U.S. at any given time.

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking a single axle with a prentice grapple. Something with at least 6 foot walls would be nice. I would like an automatic transmission so the labor could drive it and I'm kind of partial to International. In magazines and online sites that I come across, they just seem to be predominately from the sunshine state. Can I ask how much you gave for yours?

Spending Christmas in Florida with the in-laws. While the wife is doing the family thing, I plan on being out looking at trucks. You don't see them where I'm from. I worked for a power restoration outfit in Florida a couple years back when I first saw one in action. I was amazed. I knew one was in my future. Having one by spring is my plan.

you can see what some sell for at auction, if you watch the Rene Bates Auction listings online. The ones listed are ex municipal grapple trucks. The final selling prices will give you more insite as to what to pay. It seems like one or two show up in their auctions every month or so.
www.renebates.com

I picked this up last year for $8500.

Attachments

• grapple truck.jpg
    grapple truck.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 68
Did you have to do much to it? Private seller? That looks like the size that would be perfect for me. Very nice.

Latest posts

Back