People are stupid.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People call me they want a rank of firewood I say I don't sell bulk firewood they call every day I tell them the same thing

I've never found the actual propellent used, or the amount of it, makes much difference... the gun either likes the bullet or it don't.
I've noticed the complete opposite in centerfire rifles. Same gun, same bullet but different powders and amounts. One throws 3" groups and another throws 1" groups.

I've noticed the complete opposite in centerfire rifles.
Ain't what I've seen... as long as the propellant is appropriate for the cartridge and and bullet weight, it don't matter cold owl squat.
Now... which primer you use with that propellant/cartridge/bullet will matter.
I ain't playin' 'round with powder charges, I want max velocity... I use the powder that gives me that, and adjust what else I need to keep it.
Start with a bullet the firearm likes, work up the maximum load (using case head expansion method), and then start swappin' primers and changin' seating depth.

Ain't what I've seen... as long as the propellant is appropriate for the cartridge and and bullet weight, it don't matter cold owl squat.
Now... which primer you use with that propellant/cartridge/bullet will matter.
I ain't playin' 'round with powder charges, I want max velocity... I use the powder that gives me that, and adjust what else I need to keep it.
Start with a bullet the firearm likes, work up the maximum load (using case head expansion method), and then start swappin' primers and changin' seating depth.
Check the Nosler reloading manuals. They indicate which volume of charge was the most accurate for each powder and also the most accurate powder
tested.

If I'm hunting something that can hurt me I want the highest velocity possible. Otherwise I'd happily sacrifice a little speed for increased accuracy. Increased barrel life and less recoil are also benefits.

I will agree certain rifles have an appetite for specific bullets also but in my experience powder was more important to accuracy.

I have that. They used the same primer and seating depth for all charges... so what does that say??
Uniformity. Certainly this is another thing that you can tailor to your gun/load. I've used this manual to put .300 win mag groups under a dime at 100 yards. That's sufficient for me.

If you are building match grade ammo there's a zillion more variables to take in to consideration.

My next gun I think I'm going with the .308, Don't know witch brand yet but I'm still looking.
But powder loads do make a big difference in burn time and barrel length.
Using too much slow burning powder in a short barrel length. leaves behind to much powder residue witch can make followup shots not as accurate.
Same goes with long guns, you want the powder burn at just the rite time so when the bullet leaves the barrel, all the powder is completely burned up.
All powders burn at a different rate. Some burn from the outside inward letting the charge get smaller as the charge gets smaller.
Some rifle powders have little holes in them that make the powder burn from the out side inward and from the inside outward.
this keeps the same charge burning at the same rate all the way down the barrel.
I have some .357 pistols and rifles and the same charge will make one shoot better then the other.
And the myth that loading your big bullets because you make your own bullets is false.
A box of primers alone cost over 40 bucks for a box of 1000, then you have to factor in the larger powder load.
When .22 were hard to find, I walked into a Gander mountain store they had 10 cases of Remington .22 with 20 bricks in each.
I grabbed a cart and picked up 10 cases and walked to the counter. I asked do you match other competitors prices and she said yes we do.
Little did she know I was just across the street at Academy and bought a brick for 9 dollars a brick. I showed her the recipe, she rang it up and I walked out of the store with 100,000 rounds if .22 for 1800 dollars.
big score for me, I have enough .22's to last a lifetime.
A case of 10 hundred primers 0 primers at 40 dollars a brick would cost 4000 dollars.
I'll be pinking my .22 till I die.
You see my avatar shooting 100 rounds at 100 yards with these rounds.
I can shoot at small game and do quite well with cheap bullets.
I hit a sparrow at 125 yards almost every time.
you'll be surprised what a .22 can do with the rite ammo.
Some guns just like the rite ammo.
You have to experiment to see what works best.

Well it started off about stupid people calling wanting wood but not leaving no call back number. But the threads tend to migrate into something else. and I don't mind a bit, just as long as everyone shows respects and doesn't start arguing. And I'd have to blame myself for taking the thread off track buy saying I open carry.
So Blame me if you will. lol

I generally just shoot targets anymore. I hunted a lot as a youngster, did my share if killing animals, justified or not.
But with age and wisdom I came to the conclusion that if I can hit a dime at 100 yards, unless its a pest or I'm hungered, whats the point?
As long as when I fire I hear ding from hitting the target, I'm happy.

Now Tannerite has become the new fun toy! lol

Took my oldest son to Bass Pro to look at youth rifles today. He's turning 10 this spring which means he can do apprentice hunter in MN (hunt big game with an adult within arms reach). Looked at Savage, Ruger, and Renington bolt models. Rem priced way too high, Savage had much better balance than Ruger (despite me being a big Ruger fan). Think a Savage might be coming for Christmas or birthday....

Well it started off about stupid people calling wanting wood but not leaving no call back number. But the threads tend to migrate into something else. and I don't mind a bit, just as long as everyone shows respects and doesn't start arguing. And I'd have to blame myself for taking the thread off track buy saying I open carry.
So Blame me if you will. lol

I got a funny similar to your avatar pic.

Used to go to a municipal cop run range about twice a week give or take. One day, the pistol side is full up, so I mosey over to the hundred yard range with my dan wesson six inch 44. Guy next to me had some hunting rifle with a scope, I forget now what it was. So first round we go down and look, I got a better group with a lot of tens! Second and third rounds I am warmed up better and even tighter! By then, I got like half a dozen cops standing right there just staring at me, look at the target, then watch me.

I guess they never considered some long haired dude could squeeze 'em off...

I was at a shooting range in an old sand pit where the local cops would come out and shoot.
This is a range where you can set up what ever targets you felt like it, not gust paper.
I'm out there with my security six and about ten cops showed up the practice.
After about 30 min they asked me how I shoot so well. I said with a smile, you should see me on a good day.
I was hitting coke cans at 50 yards, they were hitting dirt at 20 yards.
They got pissed and left. lol

The best advice I can give you hold or snuggle up to your gun "EXACTLY" the same way every time.
Everything you do when you shoot, is to do it consistently every time.
And then some are just naturally good at it.
Problem is you can shoot them first to see if it fits you.
I got guns that cant miss, and i have guns that you cant hit the ground with.
Woman are very good shots, they just point and shoot. And with years of pointing there finger at you, there good at it.

Not to brag but I once shoot a quarter at 100 yards with my Rugger free hand and put a hole dead center. Didn't even split the side.
Thats was when the cops left the range. lol
I'm trying to find the picture but I dont know where it is. I still have the quarter somewhere as a good lock charm.

I just stripped down my millennium pro PT 111 and reassembled it in under 28 sec.
Thats with clip in but no bullets. To bad this gun don't shoot worth a damn, Field stripping it it fast and easy.
The one thing I dislike is it only has single action trigger. I think that tends to through me off a bit.

If I think I might need a gun someplace I don't go there.

I do carry a gun for the same reasons as having house insurance : very minuscule chance that I would find myself in a situation that I never ever expected to need it, but when needed it would be critical.

Edit to clarify

My next gun I think I'm going with the .308, Don't know witch brand yet but I'm still looking.
But powder loads do make a big difference in burn time and barrel length.
Using too much slow burning powder in a short barrel length. leaves behind to much powder residue witch can make followup shots not as accurate.
Same goes with long guns, you want the powder burn at just the rite time so when the bullet leaves the barrel, all the powder is completely burned up.
All powders burn at a different rate. Some burn from the outside inward letting the charge get smaller as the charge gets smaller.
Some rifle powders have little holes in them that make the powder burn from the out side inward and from the inside outward.
this keeps the same charge burning at the same rate all the way down the barrel.
I have some .357 pistols and rifles and the same charge will make one shoot better then the other.
And the myth that loading your big bullets because you make your own bullets is false.
A box of primers alone cost over 40 bucks for a box of 1000, then you have to factor in the larger powder load.
When .22 were hard to find, I walked into a Gander mountain store they had 10 cases of Remington .22 with 20 bricks in each.
I grabbed a cart and picked up 10 cases and walked to the counter. I asked do you match other competitors prices and she said yes we do.
Little did she know I was just across the street at Academy and bought a brick for 9 dollars a brick. I showed her the recipe, she rang it up and I walked out of the store with 100,000 rounds if .22 for 1800 dollars.
big score for me, I have enough .22's to last a lifetime.
A case of 10 hundred primers 0 primers at 40 dollars a brick would cost 4000 dollars.
I'll be pinking my .22 till I die.
You see my avatar shooting 100 rounds at 100 yards with these rounds.
I can shoot at small game and do quite well with cheap bullets.
I hit a sparrow at 125 yards almost every time.
you'll be surprised what a .22 can do with the rite ammo.
Some guns just like the rite ammo.
You have to experiment to see what works best.
What 22 rifle is that?

Back