Climbing vs bucket which is better

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to tell you that you need to go and work for some other companies t and climb for them and get that experience in. I started my own company when I was 18 and by some of the statements you have made you are Not ready to run your own company by any means it takes a lot more than just climbing and rigging knowledge. Start with another company in your area and go from there.
I was around may dads ever since I could walk. Yea I mean some things I may not know probably a lot of things. This is just something I want to do. When spring rolls around I will probably go work for one of them for the Summer and fall. Just to get some more like you stated.

Garrett Girvin

I'm going to tell you that you need to go and work for some other companies t and climb for them and get that experience in. I started my own company when I was 18 and by some of the statements you have made you are Not ready to run your own company by any means it takes a lot more than just climbing and rigging knowledge. Start with another company in your area and go from there.

This.

This probably means I agree with this statement.

Working for another crew or two gives you a chance to see other ways of doing it besides your Dad's way. You may find your Dad was great and he probably was. Sometimes other crews have a different way of doing things that may be more efficient or safer. Or they may show you ways to never do things because they are unsafe or inefficient.

I mean your advice is spot on. Would do the kid some good to work for one or two local shops, learn some climbing and rigging techniques, save his pennies, then venture out on his own when he's a bit older and has a better idea on work practices, job bidding, etc...

Yea I mean its probably just my stubborn ways that make me not want to go work for someone else. I want to start by myself just for the pride. I'm sure I should go out and see the jobs a little bit more you have all gave great advice and has helped a lot I appreciate the straight forward answers I was just waiting for the negative answers to flow in but everyone has surprised me. I appreciate that.

Garrett Girvin

Ice pick I got layed off november of last year from residential davey and that was awsome while I was there. Then I went to utility clearance and learned a lot there but just missed the residential side of tree work so I got hired in at JH Hart urban forestry and I love my job there

Hey @garrettgirvin. I'm 19 and I started my own stump grinding business when I was 17. I now offer insured full tree removal, pruning, and stump grinding. I've done jobs that take 5 minutes and ones that take five 12 hour days. I have a one ton pickup with a dump bed that I own half of ( A family member cosigned the loan), a Sc252, and a BC1000XL I rent from a friend. I am in the Urban Forestry program at Virginia Tech and am looking to become a certified arborist. I work part time and have had 62 customers to date. I do all my removals with climbing equipment due to cost. PM me and we can exchange contact info. I am by no means an expert on climbing or tree work but I have learned a couple things.

Better is better before bigger is better
Respect your saws and equipment. Getting too confident will end badly.
You usually get what you pay for.
If you are tired, fatigued, or hungry, take a break. (espically when climbing)
Go to trade shows, read magazines, read AS, go to conferences, join the tcia and the isa. Learn as much from the more experienced guys as possible. Never stop learning
it's ok to turn down jobs

lastly, I have heard some guys say buy a bucket truck and then learn how to climb, I can attest that climbing will be awkward, slow, and uncomfortable for the first couple hundred hours you do it. It still is for me. I think it should always be a tad bit scary no matter how experienced you are, a fear of heights keeps you from getting complacent. I think some of the best advice when it comes to learning to climb is, use your head. If it doesn't feel right at all, it probably isn't. AS is never a replacement for professional, in person training.

I like your passion for starting your own business and desire to know more. I look forward to helping you in the future. Stay safe brother.

Daniel

I believe that learning to climb would be the most beneficial because you can't do every job with a bucket and being in the tree will make you a better bucket operator when the time comes. There are some companies that bag on using a bucket but if I could afford one I would use it every chance I got to save wear and tear on my body. I say since your young and have no responsibilities, just tag around with different tree services and learn as much as you can for a couple years and make a bit of cash dragging brush until you get good at climbing then go out on your own.

Okay just a idea I realize some of you are saying buy a bucket first then learn how to climb. Well I'm just saying I don't even have my license yet so that would give me plenty of time to start learning how to climb just casually and not for business. Would I be able to get a good feel for it in a summer

Garrett Girvin

When I was working for Park Cities Tree Service in Dallas in the early and mid 80's one of the first things I noticed was little outfits that sprung up that didn't have a bucket truck just stayed in low gear. They never really could build up like they wanted. When I started on my own in 1986, I knew that a bucket truck was a necessity for this area. I knew I would probably always be a little company but I didn't want to be a little company that perpetually seemed to be on hind tit.

When I was working for Park Cities Tree Service in Dallas in the early and mid 80's one of the first things I noticed was little outfits that sprung up that didn't have a bucket truck just stayed in low gear. They never really could build up like they wanted. When I started on my own in 1986, I knew that a bucket truck was a necessity for this area. I knew I would probably always be a little company but I didn't want to be a little company that perpetually seemed to be on hind tit.

It may be just your area because up here in the pacific northwest it's all about the climb. Most our trees are way too big for a bucket and it's rare that we do trees where there is even access for a bucket. While buckets are handy, I definitely don't think they are necessary to have a successful tree service at all. In fact there is only one guy around here who has one and he regularly has to pay $500 a day for contract climbers to come and blow up his job site leaving a mess for his crew to clean up.

Back