Bandit 90XP belt problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudydose

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I bought this 2004 Bandit 90XP and has been a headache ever since.

Today I noticed the belt was wearing pretty bad andeaving shavings on the ground but we had to limp it through the day. It was lacking power and bogging down with everything we fed into it. Near the end the chipper just shut off and would nkt even start up again. Any ideas. My guess is the clutch belt is slipping and but I don't think the explains why it shut down on me
Any help at all is appreciated

Was it leaving rubber shavings on the ground (belt wearing) or not throwing chips into the truck hard enough. If the belt is wearing, it likely would mean the pulleys aren't lined up parallel.

Tightening the clutch belt and adjusting the angle of the belt is pretty easy on those machines. The cutter wheel is fixed to the frame, but the engine/clutch can be moved around. There are adjusting bolts (2 on each side) that will allow the engine to be moved back and forth and twisted slightly.

Pull the belt shroud off, loosen off the capture nuts and tighten the belt to specs (it's something like 3/8" deflection at 15lb pressure - but check the manual for the actual - I pulled those numbers out of the air). Use a straight edge to make sure the pulleys are lined up parallel.

As far as the engine not starting, I'm no mechanic, but the things I check in the field are loose wiring connections, especially the Murphy switch. You should also check the fuel filter.

There are others on here who are more knowledgable about how to check injectors, fuel pressure etc.

Yes. That is exactally what is was doing leaving shavings on the ground like that. I'll check the alignment of the pulleys and most likely replace the belts. I wasn't sure if the belt being too loose or worn could contribute to my no starting issue.
Thanks for your help.

The machine not starting sounds like a short in the wiring probably from vibrating and rubbing. Mine was doing that and I had my mechanic bypass the safety switch and add a 25amp fuse to keep it from burning up the wires.

Back