Wesco options.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes the reddawgs are not water prof oil them up good , i like Obenauf's. and if you can ware wool a good wool sock is good summer or winter.

Doesn't it cost $100 just for the "fit kit" from Wesco?

I need boots BADLY, but I have narrow feet and there doesn't seem to be any such thing anymore. A guy used to be able to buy narrow work boots off the shelf, but I haven't seen anything narrower than a D in years. With D width boots I have to wear two thick pairs of socks of I'm in for a world of hurt.
as far as vibrams, the only ones i have found in B width is the carolina domestic logger. it must be the domestic, the chinese versions don't come in B. i had a pair of BA Masons that fit ok once but i can't remember if they were B or not.
i got narrow long feet, hard to get a good fit.

ts, you are right I just looked it up. Carolina's 9" Domestic boot comes in B width. I didn't know that anyone did that any more. I don't know that my feet are B width, but they sure as heck aren't D.

The problem is the heel. I have come to hate the heeled boots. On really steep ground they are a major pain in my hind end. Plus the amount of blowdown I step over an an average week guarantees that at some point I won't lift a foot high enough and catch that same heel on something. Face plants get my blood boiling.

How does one determine the width of one's feet? Shoe stores used to have those aluminum fitting guides with the sliders on them, but I haven't seen one of those in years.

I broke (or severely sprained) my ankle years ago and never went to the doctor. I have to have a heeled boot or I walk the leather off the sole on the heel. Got so used to them that a flat soled boot feels weird. That is gonna be a requirement for my next pair of calks (coming soon) I have about walked my Hoffmans off.

ts, you are right I just looked it up. Carolina's 9" Domestic boot comes in B width. I didn't know that anyone did that any more. I don't know that my feet are B width, but they sure as heck aren't D.

The problem is the heel. I have come to hate the heeled boots. On really steep ground they are a major pain in my hind end. Plus the amount of blowdown I step over an an average week guarantees that at some point I won't lift a foot high enough and catch that same heel on something. Face plants get my blood boiling.

How does one determine the width of one's feet? Shoe stores used to have those aluminum fitting guides with the sliders on them, but I haven't seen one of those in years.
i ain't seen that thing since i was a kid.......i don't think our feet shrunk, i just think the imported shoes are poorly fit............by the way, i got a pair of justins for in the shop in B width........well they big in the heel.........i ain't happy with them either.
i was wearing domestic wolverines in the shop..........well they discontinued them in favor of more imports that don't fit.

so because of this thread... I went to OH... tried on some vibergs, and some wescos... and looked over the Whites... if'n they'd a had a pair of Vibergs in 12.5 x 16" top... I'd be out 500...

Maybe after the first of the year I'll make a final decision... Found out my left foot is a 12.5 ee and my right is an 11/11.5 D...

They can special order em in different sizes. I don't think its much of a price difference, less then the full custom thing...

From what I've read its not uncommon to have to different sized feet, however its the gimpy one that is extra big, and its like a full size and a half bigger then the other... largely why I want to have a custom set of boots made...

I'm like NM, my feet are different sizes and one leg is longer than the other. I've had a hip replacement, a knee replacement, back surgery, and the usual assortment of broken arms and legs. No big deal. That's just another one of God's little door prizes for spending your life in the woods.
I was in my 30s before I ever had a custom boot built for me. I wish I hadn't waited that long. Bad fitting boots wear out faster and the doctor told me that they can actually aggravate existing injuries. I believe that. When I had my first pair of boots made a lot of the back and hip pain went away. Not all of it...that's just life...but enough to really notice the difference.
Caution... Once you get a pair of boots that fits like they're supposed to you'll never be happy with anything else. If you figure the cost-per-day-of-use for a good pair of custom boots they're cheaper than cheap boots.

Just curious Bob if you wear a heel lift so both legs are the same length. Wife had lower back problems for a time until a Dr. took some detailed measurements.Prescribed a heel lift and the pain went away.

I'm like NM, my feet are different sizes and one leg is longer than the other. I've had a hip replacement, a knee replacement, back surgery, and the usual assortment of broken arms and legs. No big deal. That's just another one of God's little door prizes for spending your life in the woods.
I was in my 30s before I ever had a custom boot built for me. I wish I hadn't waited that long. Bad fitting boots wear out faster and the doctor told me that they can actually aggravate existing injuries. I believe that. When I had my first pair of boots made a lot of the back and hip pain went away. Not all of it...that's just life...but enough to really notice the difference.
Caution... Once you get a pair of boots that fits like they're supposed to you'll never be happy with anything else. If you figure the cost-per-day-of-use for a good pair of custom boots they're cheaper than cheap boots.
i can't lock my right knee so i can't stand up quite straight........i used to be a little over 6' lol.
i believe that on the boots.........if they don't fit right i hate um. i just try to get what i had and liked.........if i could do custom i would.........can't really fly out there for boots lol.
it does seem like nothing fits just right any more......IDK if its me changed or boots and clothes ain't cut right. i couldn't really have shrunk much.......i hope.....

I have 3/8" on the left to make up for what went missing at the top of the femur.
I gave up on calks because they were too tough on the knees, besides my last few years were in the Sierras, lots of rocks.
I do like the "logger" heels, good for going downhill in loose soils.

i can't lock my right knee so i can't stand up quite straight........i used to be a little over 6' lol.
i believe that on the boots.........if they don't fit right i hate um. i just try to get what i had and liked.........if i could do custom i would.........can't really fly out there for boots lol.
it does seem like nothing fits just right any more......IDK if its me changed or boots and clothes ain't cut right. i couldn't really have shrunk much.......i hope.....
old ****er...lol

Just curious Bob if you wear a heel lift so both legs are the same length. Wife had lower back problems for a time until a Dr. took some detailed measurements.Prescribed a heel lift and the pain went away.

I don't wear anything. The difference isn't very much and the orthopedist doesn't seem concerned about it. He said that in fifteen or twenty years I might develop another hip problem or maybe not. I'll gamble on that.

Back