Rookie mill saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAWsquatch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have a few small saws time to get a larger one mill with. I have designed a small Alaskan type mill that I will finish welding once I decide on what saw to use. Want something around 60 to75cc. Have a 2100cd for the big stuff. What is A good middle range saw Might use it for a little firewood as well. Don't know much all help is welcome

Stihl 046/460, Dolmar 7900, husqvarna 576, 372. How big are you wanting to mill with this saw?

60-75cc is on the small side, your 2100 will work very well for milling. I have one that I used for about 4 years before getting a 3120. Get started with what you have and save for a newer saw is what I would do.

I'm welding a "mini mill" of sorts for fun to mill posts with. Nothing more then 16". My friend has an older rancher 50cc he wants to use I was thinking little bigger for myself. Thanks for responses

Don't push the saw, give it plenty of cool down time, keep your chains sharp and have fun.

I'm with Ford4500, use the 2100 with a 24" bar. Kinda silly getting a smaller saw to mill with. The 5-8lb difference is not that much and you would much rather have too much power(ya right) than not enough!!
Unless this is all a ploy to show the wife that you neeeeeeeed a new saw , then you should get a Husky272.
G Vavra

Told her it's good for firewood but yea guess I jus want a middle range found a older 460 pro real clean for 200$ on cl.... Was lookin to spend more but if I can score

I have a 660 and for 16" logs it's just right. I wouldn't think of running a 60cc saw for milling anything but pecker poles

I agree with firebrick. My 660 with 25 inch bar really doesn't feel that much heavier than my 290 farm Boss. I have thought about putting a short bar on one of my 900 series Homelites just for milling 4X4's, 6X6's, etc, Joe.

Latest posts

Back