WHAT IS THE ULTIMATE CLEARING SAW NYLON

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey thanks sawfun ,
Wow imagine a stihl clearing saw at 72cc , recon the 041 mod would chew harnesses faster than it would brush though , :laugh:
Imagine the shredder blade it could run , Would put "'The Chainsaw Massacre"' to shame any day:chainsaw:

True, but imagine the vibes too. Those early trimmers didn't have much or anything to address that issue. But I am sure it could easily run a 12" Eager Beaver blade.

I'll go with the DE Diamond edge, but in .130"/3.3mm for certain applications. I think it cuts better in thinner diameter, less stalky grasses. For anything else I'll second the .155" Diamond Edge.

Thanks for your input catbuster
Glad your with me on the Diamond Edge.:heart:
Might have to give the 3.3mm a run sometime.

Thanks for your input catbuster
Glad your with me on the Diamond Edge.:heart:
Might have to give the 3.3mm a run sometime.

I only prefer the 3.3 for areas of matted grasses that aren't stalky. The smaller diameter seems to slice better. I would think (engineer thinking-watch out) that the less drag and less mass with the same power makes it spin faster, and the smaller size allows it to get caught on fewer things, allowing it to cut cleaner and easier. See below for what I mean. That is where I prefer the 3.3.
d4bfee89ddc0feedaddab312af543a6f.jpg

(Don't worry. I'm thinning the trees too)

For anything other than light grasses that have just become overgrown I'll take the 3.9.

Hey Sawfun

Here are a couple of links , Desert Extrusion is the company and Diamond edge is the obviously the nylon type, although they don't seem to list a 3.9 mm.
http://www.desertextrusion.com/
http://www.buywright.co.nz/brushcutterblades.html \
The desert extrusion site don't give much away though so ive posted a couple of pics for more info, Desert Extrusion is also made in the U.S.A .
The last pic is just me showing off my stack of un-opened shredder blades:chainsaw:

IMG_5682.JPG IMG_5681.JPG IMG_5683.JPG IMG_5682.JPG IMG_5683.JPG IMG_5685.JPG

Hey Sawfun
Keep me posted on your stihl shredder from Aus. They usually cost $55-$60 AUS from the local stihl dealer
Just out of curiosity where did you order from ? E bay ? , Still cant get my head around why stihl shredders
and perhaps even Husky shredders are such a hassle to acquire in the states.
Always be careful when ordering from Aus Ebay to check postage exclusions.

Yup, Ebay $75 with shipping. I ordered a 300mm Aircut and will try it out next spring. Mostly for blackberries and light brush & saplings. I will try them on both my fs250r & fs550. The 250 is a better platform to test since power savings will be more noticable.

Out of curiosity, how do you like the U shaped Oregon blades?

Hey ANewSawyer,
Cant say ive ever seen or used one .http://www.theoregonshop.com/page33.htm
I did get excited when I found them on google though, the $$ seem very reasonable compared with Stihl.Cant seem to see a listing for their diametre though.
These blades would be ideal for you to try out on those Black Berries, do you Know if they are available for you to purchase in the states ?

Well New Sawyer, I wanted to try them all. So far I have used the Windsor on my fs250R on dense blackberries. And that seemed to be the perfect tool for the job. Those blades are hard to get locally soni wanted a few for myself.

I only prefer the 3.3 for areas of matted grasses that aren't stalky
Hey catbuster ,
That stuff looks pretty gnarly,
The thought going through my head in those situations is what lurks below the surface.You know when ya start working your way down to ground level and begin to find branches and sticks and that nylon starts to split and fray
definitely one of my wost fears on a quoted job,nothing worse than wasting valuable nylon. Although looking at the tree size hopefully there isn't anything to serious lurking down below. I would attack with the nylon first then thin the trees with a tungsten carbide tipped circular saw blade.I use a Stihl one , cant remember specs off hand but this thing is nasty.Originally started with a scratcher tooth on a fs 85 , then moved up to a Chisel tooth on a fs 480 ,then hit the holey grail with the carbide on a fs 550.(Gotta say the chisel tooth is an awesome blade but I would compare it to a chainsaw chain in that it is great out of the pack but before to long it requires constant attention)
Would be great if you could post some pics of the completed job , I love show and tell :muscle::thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:
P.S love the smiley upgrade , may have got caught up in the moment though:lol:

So far I have used the Windsor on my fs250R on dense blackberries
Hey Sawfun
Any chance you can post a link for the Windsor Shredder Blades.Very excited , up till recently I thought only Stihl and Husky produced them,
Loving Arborisite.com all over again :cheers:oops more smileys:lol:

Hey ANewSawyer,
Cant say ive ever seen or used one .http://www.theoregonshop.com/page33.htm
I did get excited when I found them on google though, the $$ seem very reasonable compared with Stihl.Cant seem to see a listing for their diametre though.
These blades would be ideal for you to try out on those Black Berries, do you Know if they are available for you to purchase in the states ?

The blades I linked to should be available in the states. The seller is located in the same state as me. It would be funny if he wouldn't sell to me.

The site you linked to has different looking blades, though.

Shredder blades would be ideal for the blackberries and grass. But it could be a while before I am able to collect the funds for a $800 Husky. That is a lot money for me.
I found a 21cc Echo SRM-210 at a local pawn shop. They want $90 for it but I should be able to buy it for $70. It might even be less than that. The Echo is a cable drive, not solid shaft unfortunately, but I can get a kit to convert the Echo to take blades. I am wondering if I could use one of the tripoint blades on the Echo for blackberries and grass. Or would that be to much for such a little engine? Not the ideal, I know, but I can afford the Echo. Then I could save for a Husky.

Back