Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i notice on your block that you didn't take out a snipe on either the top or bottom.......or so it looks to me in the pic. i block quite a bit but in hardwood, i have noticed in some wood it will still pull a little fiber without a snipe. you have not seen this in your wood i take it?

1213141217-00-jpg.386625

North.

Sunshine and a tack hammer? You're giving us PNW folks a bad name. All the BS we've been slinging about big wedge axes, and rain enough to make us into mole people is getting shot out the winda. Photos like these and nobodies gonna believe us anymore.

Nice work there, spring boards keep ya on your toes. They do me anyway, I don't like them one little bit.

If the side of that truck in the video says Gollie, I believe they're still going. Good movie there. Keep praying and someday the Feds may cut loose with some big wood again. Plenty getting to and past the point of no return. Someone around here is cutting two, three and four log loads, been sometime since I seen that. Been seeing them on my morning commute. They're going north, but I don't know where.

Owl

i have a dumb ?.........when standing in that cutting, where do you go when the tree goes?
down... fast and hope ya don't twist an ankle so ya's can keep movin when ya hit the ground... If I wasn't such a fat ass clutz I'd make a spring board vid otherwise I think there is enough embarassing footage of me on the net as it is...

that maple stump was supposed to be part of a vid makin fun of the bore cut nutzis... it only happened to be sunny, 2nd day of sun since october.

Skeans, that there looks like a good time. I'm what some political folk call uncoordinated, AKA, I fall down a lot in the brush. Not by choice, just is what it is. Thus my dislike for boards, and a round one like you have there, would be my weapon of absolute last resort. What'cha got going on on the back side there? Sucker? I learned how to reach as far as I can over my head with a saw, in effort to not have to deal with the things. Not the safest, but if I could get it to work I would. Good way to leave a post though.

Tree, sometimes you get to be up high enough that you don't get to go. You gotta be darned sure of what's going to happen though. You just move around to the back, or jump and take your chances if need be. Death on tooth picks I called it. Never done alone, at minimum another guy was on the ground watching, just in case. Usually that was me, cause everyone knew how I was.

I think Randy or Bob had a photo some time back, had some woods made scaffolding wrapped around one that was being worked on. I can climb about anything, but I'm tied in most of that time, left to my own balance I'm screwed, I don't even like walking on a roof edge.

Owl

gotcha.........i have seen pics with no or little snipe, just wondering.
I was wondering the same thing. Y'all know my awesome qualifications, and when I have blocked, it has been with an intentionally (maybe) "not meeting" Humboldt with a vertical bore from the side completing the block. I've never made two parallel gunning cuts, bored it into a block, then sniped, but it actually seems like an easier way to get it done.

Sorry to but in, but I have been reading this thread for two days now, just being blown away by what you guys do and have done. The way you describe logging; the people, the work, the reasons you put up with the bad stuff. I'd give a testicle to follow one of you old salts around in the woods for a week pissing you off and asking idiot rookie questions.

I'm at a point in my life where I just went from being one of the old salts in my last profession, the guy who did the stuff the kids who do it today read about in middle/high school that made them want to start. It's tough. Now that I am out at the mercy of the world again and have to start a job (maybe profession) from the bottom rung again, it's hard. I want to be a logger more than I wanted to do my last job before I started it, but I'm 31 and don't have a lick of professional experience with a saw.

What blows is that because I am formerly a pro something, I know how to be a good rookie. I have common sense, learn quick, and know how to work with trees enough to avoid killing myself if I was studying under a true professional. I have the itch to this like I can't explain. I probably never will, so add it to another list of regrets or coulda beens in my life. Not crying in my beer here, things in life happen this way, some just stick with you a little longer than others.

Anyway I am applying with the BLM to try to join a fire crew at the bottom of the ladder, at least get some time in the woods and maybe learn something. I can probably manage to get into the residential tree field, and that'd be fine, but I'd rather just drop trees. Again sorry to derail your thread, I just really wanted to say thanks for all the shared stories and experiences. Keep the good pics coming and if you see me lurking around here running my suck cut me a little slack, I'm not hiding that I am a wannabe, and if I start to sound like a know it all bs artists it's only because I am taking what I think I have learned from you guys who know the drill and trying to make sense of it.

Of all the internet forums I've been to this is the one I have the least business being on, and yet I have had the most fun and think the members are the best.

Start cold calling logging outfits in your area, mention yer wanting to start over, keep at it. Granted Main logging is fairly mechanized but there is room on the bottom rung for those that are eager.

Whatcha used to do?

And 31 isn't that old, I'm 37 now, started cutting on the side when I was 32 (after exp. from when I was much younger granted) its grown on its own since then.

Sorry to but in, but I have been reading this thread for two days now, just being blown away by what you guys do and have done. The way you describe logging; the people, the work, the reasons you put up with the bad stuff. I'd give a testicle to follow one of you old salts around in the woods for a week pissing you off and asking idiot rookie questions.

I'm at a point in my life where I just went from being one of the old salts in my last profession, the guy who did the stuff the kids who do it today read about in middle/high school that made them want to start. It's tough. Now that I am out at the mercy of the world again and have to start a job (maybe profession) from the bottom rung again, it's hard. I want to be a logger more than I wanted to do my last job before I started it, but I'm 31 and don't have a lick of professional experience with a saw.

What blows is that because I am formerly a pro something, I know how to be a good rookie. I have common sense, learn quick, and know how to work with trees enough to avoid killing myself if I was studying under a true professional. I have the itch to this like I can't explain. I probably never will, so add it to another list of regrets or coulda beens in my life. Not crying in my beer here, things in life happen this way, some just stick with you a little longer than others.

Anyway I am applying with the BLM to try to join a fire crew at the bottom of the ladder, at least get some time in the woods and maybe learn something. I can probably manage to get into the residential tree field, and that'd be fine, but I'd rather just drop trees. Again sorry to derail your thread, I just really wanted to say thanks for all the shared stories and experiences. Keep the good pics coming and if you see me lurking around here running my suck cut me a little slack, I'm not hiding that I am a wannabe, and if I start to sound like a know it all bs artists it's only because I am taking what I think I have learned from you guys who know the drill and trying to make sense of it.

Of all the internet forums I've been to this is the one I have the least business being on, and yet I have had the most fun and think the members are the best.
What state are you in?

Hi Wannabe123,

You've just explained my scenario too. From on top of my game to grovelling newbie getting frustrated and questioning my sanity. The road less travelled. I figure it's like going back to university and taking years of work and learning just to be able to add value to an outfit and get a basic level of experience to be safe and on the road to productive.

It costs about the same as a varsity degree too. After three years of getting my ass kicked, I think I might break even or make a small living this year for the first time since leaving a profession where my people charged me out in 15min intervals for four times what I'm happy to earn now per hour.

To be honest, knowing what I do now I don't think it was a wise call to make such a radical change. It's been way harder than first thought. But I'm enjoying every minute of it, except when gear breaks, people let you down, the weather sucks, etc. Which is often.

Back