What am I doing wrong?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust inspector

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Other than not using my splitter what's wrong with my techniques

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 349
I have drank a few beers the shirt is soaking wet and I can't swing any harder. My only option is a small hatchet left.

I'd of bucked it different when
Sawing.... then something that small
wouldn't of needed to be split..
(In my stove anyway ;-) )
Noodle the flare of the larger
branch & it'll stack nice in the
pile.

you could fight that chunk all night and most of next week. sure looks like elm to me. even the nice rounds with no branches dont split well. you could try turning 90... or flip it over and take each side in half and then burn the rest. either hydraulic or noodling would be better options. most wood will split fairly easily the way you are trying but elm is a no go.

Agreed, I'd turn it 90* first and then split it into two Y's.

If you really need to split the Y for some reason, turn it upside down and hit it in the middle of the crotch. Once the crotch goes, the base of the "Y" will go easily (works for white ash). Splitting the "Y" is also tends to be easier after performing the aforementioned 90* split into two Y's.

I can't swing any harder. My only option is a small hatchet left.
12j.jpg
uk4.jpg

Noodle it. Next time when you run into that on the log, cut the ends off and cut where they connect together into a small round. You'll have a few oddball chunks but no hassles trying to split it or burn it.

What I can tell from the photo. . . it appears your vagina might be getting in the way of your wood splitting. Have you measured the spacing of your eyes and compared them to the rest of humanity. . . lol Just kidding Jethro.
Go toss that wood out by the road with a sign that says: FOR.SALE.campfire wood $100.... Take that $100.and buy some potato chips and beer. Problem solved

Back