Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn you all have a nice little collection. So, why Poulans and not another brand?

I am rather novice here but I feel of all the older saws I have the 3400-4000 are the best bang for the buck. The question I've wondered is why does a 30 year old European saw demand way more $ than the equivalent cc Poulan in the used saw market.

I may be wrong but I think to some degree it is because of what the modern version of the box-store Poulan represents. That stigma right or wrong is likely projected by the unknowing to the former years. That Counter Vibe of yesteryear is not your average Wild Thing.

I think for that reason alone these saws sit on Kijiji and Craigslist, at least in my parts, with only folks in the know distinguishing the difference. Perhaps this helps keep the price garnered by them deflated?

I can only imagine what a 2014 Counter Vibe would look like if they still made them.

I am rather novice here but I feel of all the older saws I have the 3400-4000 are the best bang for the buck. The question I've wondered is why does a 30 year old European saw demand way more $ than the same Poulan in the used saw market.

I may be wrong but I think to some degree it is because of what the modern version of the box-store Poulan represents. That stigma right or wrong is likely projected by the unknowing to the former years. That Counter Vibe of yesteryear is not your average Wild Thing.

I think for that reason alone these saws sit on Kijiji and Craigslist, at least in my parts, with only folks in the know distinguishing the difference. Perhaps this helps keep the price garnered by them deflated?

I can only imagine what a 2014 Counter Vibe would look like if they still made them.

What are some European saws? I wish Poulan went back to the lime green. If they did, I may buy a 5020Av

Damn you all have a nice little collection. So, why Poulans and not another brand?

I just started that way. Bought a 3400 new in 1986. There was a big tree service back east where I lived. I was talking to the owner one day, asking him what he thought of Poulan chainsaws. He said at that time they were running Sthils. But in the past they run Poulan's. He said there is not a thing wrong with the Poulans, they make a good saw. So I bought one..... and years later bought a BUNCH of them. :numberone:

I do own a Husky 385xp. Main reason I bought that was to try my hand at milling lumber. Havn't done that in some time, but I do use the saw quite a bit. I like it, no complaints at all. I would like to own a 372xp someday also, so I can rest some of my old Poulans some. LOL But let me tell you, and this is the truth! There is nothing like sound, feel of power and pure satisfaction that comes from running a 5200 with big bar in big wood! You just grin while doing it. :D

Gregg,

What are some European saws?

I did not mean to imply rebranded European Poulans if it came across that way, but rather their similar displacement German and Swedish counterparts of the era. An example would be the feeding frenzy I witnessed at a local auction not too long ago that saw a well used 041 go for a ridiculous $190. And an equally used white-top 61 go for similar. The locals were salivating and the auctioneer sold them based on their more modern pedigree.

No thanks. Call me when the Poulan scoffing locals go home and you bring out the old Green.

Back