Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put my saws and ATV to some good use today. Was going to use a wheelbarrow, then I figured I could just put the basket on the back of the ATV instead (no room for a trailer). Got the job done! It is a combo of Ash & Elm, now I just need to split it and deliver it. I also took a pic of that big Elm branch that drooped down hard yesterday (pic #2), it is all cut up now.

U asked for pics?

Some real pretty wood there!

Latest scrounge with the kids: birch and oak
In the evening using some of last years beech

and waiting for a french speciality to finish in the oven: la tartiflette!!
7e88a43155ce5c90b7d63a4f42d84efb.jpg

Seasons greetings from this side of the pond:)

Johan

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

I had to look it up, yum!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartiflette

Possibly. Since this is my first year, I'm just doing a feeling out process. Trying to see how hard/easy it is to find enough scrounge opportunities. If it's slim pickings, I may look into some type of pay to cut lots. If there is such a thing near me.

I've called a state forest near me. They used to give out permits to the public for downed trees. They no longer do that, not sure why.
Ambull, do you have any military bases near you? We have one close by and I was talking to a guy who cuts wood on the base. It cost him a fee of about $50 for one months cutting and hauling. This base has a lot of woods.

Well, started on my big tulip poplar the other day. Worst.Fell.Ever.

Mr. sawchips for branes thought it would be a good idea to try and get it to fall 180 using wedges. Didn't want it go into the swamp pond and pickers. Had most of the remaining branches on that side, so there was the weight, but was pretty straight so thought I could do it. Bad idea. Should have gone and got the tractor and some tow straps/chains/rope/come-along. Small face cut, started on back cut, little wedges first, then longer ones, just nailing them things in. It was shaking at the top so I am mostly looking up. All of a sudden, another shake, crack..eeek, wrong way! It's going backwards, the way it was leaning. I booked it and jumped. Yep, right back in the dang pond and pickers, el kaboom!

And what's funny, didn't bother me a bit until last night, then I thought, gee, close one el retardo.... think I'll do it safer next time..

Anyway, first load, dang, this stuff is *heavy*. Has the highest magic moisture reading I have ever seen, pegged at 50% in the heartwood juicy areas. And it was splashing trying to bust it to carry size with the AOS. Finally noodled five big rounds in half, then chipped away at it, got 'em small enough. That's the first load pic. Second is some nice two year old tulip poplar in the zogger smogger right now, people sometimes ask if it is worth taking, heck ya! Perfect for these cool but not cold temps.

Attachments

• IMG_20141218_153147.jpg
    IMG_20141218_153147.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20141219_201105.jpg
    IMG_20141219_201105.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 33
I've kind of noticed that they ain't goin' down quite like they used to myself, sometimes. I blame it on the wind.;)

I blame it on me, wasn't that windy. Just bad planning. I did live, and certainly learned. Now I have done this before, always worked, just this time..it didn't, just not enough beef behind those swings and could have used much bigger wedges, or stacked them, or something, and need to do more research on proper felling cuts for that sort of fell... but...a little rope action and the tractor would have been better all around.

Whenever the fall direction is "important", I rope it. And the rope I got at Baileys with the Maasden rope winch is not cheap, but it is 3X stronger than the same diameter stuff at HD, so to me it is worth it. Sometimes, I cut near roads, houses, power lines, or all of the above! There are no second chances when dropping a tree!

Well, started on my big tulip poplar the other day. Worst.Fell.Ever.

Mr. sawchips for branes thought it would be a good idea to try and get it to fall 180 using wedges. Didn't want it go into the swamp pond and pickers. Had most of the remaining branches on that side, so there was the weight, but was pretty straight so thought I could do it. Bad idea. Should have gone and got the tractor and some tow straps/chains/rope/come-along. Small face cut, started on back cut, little wedges first, then longer ones, just nailing them things in. It was shaking at the top so I am mostly looking up. All of a sudden, another shake, crack..eeek, wrong way! It's going backwards, the way it was leaning. I booked it and jumped. Yep, right back in the dang pond and pickers, el kaboom!

And what's funny, didn't bother me a bit until last night, then I thought, gee, close one el retardo.... think I'll do it safer next time..

Anyway, first load, dang, this stuff is *heavy*. Has the highest magic moisture reading I have ever seen, pegged at 50% in the heartwood juicy areas. And it was splashing trying to bust it to carry size with the AOS. Finally noodled five big rounds in half, then chipped away at it, got 'em small enough. That's the first load pic. Second is some nice two year old tulip poplar in the zogger smogger right now, people sometimes ask if it is worth taking, heck ya! Perfect for these cool but not cold temps.

Probably won't happen again Zog because you'll make sure of that.

A live and learn type of deal. The way she goes boys, to quote the man in the chair.

The 394 has sucked up a lot of abuse meant for me in those type of situations.

Probably won't happen again Zog because you'll make sure of that.

A live and learn type of deal. The way she goes boys, to quote the man in the chair.

The 394 has sucked up a lot of abuse meant for me in those type of situations.

Sure would have helped a little, along with the bigger wedges and better cuts, to have used one of my bigger saws. Was using the 371 with a 24, should have grabbed one of the 80s or the 394, wouldn't have had to cut from both sides then. Might have helped, not sure though. Am sure the tractor would have worked better...

Was thinking about this stuff, despite necessity, for a lot of us this is sport,and that's how it goes, skiing, dirtbike riding, superbike nutso highway cruising, scuba diving, etc. Sports all got risks. Hard physical employment has risks, too, everything I have ever done. Heck, I am bout..still 1/3rd gimped up from a work accident 20 years ago.

Latest posts

Back