pipe question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it is assembled correctly with the 'outside' portion facing up. Keeps all the 'crud' running down the inside of he pipe. I had a neighbor who put one in the other way, he had black streaks running the full length of the pipe. He asked my why it did that. I told him it was wrong but he wouldn't believe me.

Harry K

Thanks for the quick responses guys, appreciate it. I was hoping you were going to say it was good.

technically, no.

your elbow should be on the outside of the first pipe from the stove.

and, what is the screw holding where it attaches to the pipe going into the wall? should not the screw be started on the wall pipe and into the elbow?

Thats the elbow that they sold me when I bought my stove last year. Had a friend come over last weekend and said I had it put together backwards. I heat 24/7 with the stove and have had no problem so far at all. Thanks

technically, no.

your elbow should be on the outside of the first pipe from the stove.

and, what is the screw holding where it attaches to the pipe going into the wall? should not the screw be started on the wall pipe and into the elbow?

??? That would require the entire stack to be reversed and creosote would be running down the outside of the pipe.

Harry K

??? That would require the entire stack to be reversed and creosote would be running down the outside of the pipe.

Harry K

i read your earlier reply before, harry, and i gave it some thought. my post was based on my experience installing furnaces: you always make the fittings so that no gases can escape. likewise, i used the same principal in my post. the way i mentioned would eliminate the chances of any smoke entering the house.

then, i was going to correct myself after reading you post, in which you made sense, but, thinking about it, i asked why would so much creosote be running back into the stove? if he was burning wet unseasoned wood, perhaps that would be it, or, if the pipe was dampered down so much that it never got hot enough to burn the gases away, that might cause it too. but, regardless of the cause, some one is not burning right if the creosote is leaking back down. usually, a nice hot fire will turn most creosote into black soot.

i'm most likely wrong, but i was just letting you know why i thought that way. :)

Where did you get a crush bend elbow like that?
You can buy those in 45° and 90° at most any fleet, hardware and home improvement "big box" store 'round here. They're usually made of heavier steel than the "adjustable" type... and hold-up to a ton of use, and abuse. Unless I've got some sort of weird angle or double-angle, those are the only type I'll use for flue pipe anymore.

And yes bowtechman13, that flue pipe is assembled correctly.

i read your earlier reply before, harry, and i gave it some thought. my post was based on my experience installing furnaces: you always make the fittings so that no gases can escape. likewise, i used the same principal in my post. the way i mentioned would eliminate the chances of any smoke entering the house.

then, i was going to correct myself after reading you post, in which you made sense, but, thinking about it, i asked why would so much creosote be running back into the stove? if he was burning wet unseasoned wood, perhaps that would be it, or, if the pipe was dampered down so much that it never got hot enough to burn the gases away, that might cause it too. but, regardless of the cause, some one is not burning right if the creosote is leaking back down. usually, a nice hot fire will turn most creosote into black soot.

i'm most likely wrong, but i was just letting you know why i thought that way. :)
heating duct work, and "power vent" chimneys are different than a draft type chimney...duct work is pressurized therefore you want the end of the duct over the piece before it, to make a smooth transition (less drag).
and draft type chimney is under vacuum which keeps the smoke from coming out the joints, it really doesn't matter which direction the joints are run, but for a wood stove they're run "backward" to keep everything inside the pipe, (even ash/soot would come through if the pipe were run like you say unless you sealed the joints...never seen that on stove pipe though...

Yes, it is assembled correctly with the 'outside' portion facing up. Keeps all the 'crud' running down the inside of he pipe. I had a neighbor who put one in the other way, he had black streaks running the full length of the pipe. He asked my why it did that. I told him it was wrong but he wouldn't believe me.

Harry K
Yep did the same thing on my first one too.

photo3.JPG after doing some reading, i concur. i was wrong to say they should be assembled like on a furnace, for the reasons mentioned above.

thanks, guys. you learn new some thing all the time!

When I installed mine I also thought it was backwards from my way of thinking. I fix dryer vents daily and have done fair share of ductwork. But, never thought of the creosote dripping down. Thanks for the explanation on draft vs forced air, makes sense.

I first ran into the proper way to assemble sstove pipe back in the 50s. Sounded wrong to me to but then I found out that all the experts agree.

I think I ran into it in the same book that explained why the more you split wood, the bigger a given pile will grow, i.e., start with a cord of unsplit logs, split, pile and you come out with more than a cord.

Harry K

View attachment 388027 after doing some reading, i concur. i was wrong to say they should be assembled like on a furnace, for the reasons mentioned above.

thanks, guys. you learn new some thing all the time!

Well you're also used to dealing with gas/oil furnaces which can put out flammable gasses without any flame present. Pretty tough to do that with wood if it's not on fire.

Back