new ms271, scorred piston & rings,,,,need help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxahachiecuttr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is there a place I can buy an aftermarket cylinder kit for a stihl ms271? because an oem kit cost is about same as new saw. Do I have any possible other options?

yes,,,,,someone ruined it first day owned,,,,,i bought it from local stihl dealer....thinking could get kit from baileys for $119, aftermarket not available anywhere I have looked. the 260 kit has same bore,displacement, stroke, ring size, ,,,,,but I'm not sure if will work,,,,,,,need experienced advice.

Nothing in aftermarket so far and don't expect for the next few years! Why? Simply because it is a homeowner model and not a "desired pro" model! And 260 and 271 have a totally different internal engine setup, so your thinking is wrong again!
So sorry but it looks like you did a bad buy!

But I have read of people with a similar fate, writing a nice letter to Stihl and getting the parts for free or for a major discount. So you might have luck.

stihl cylinder 006.JPG

Attachments

• stihl cylinder 007.JPG
    stihl cylinder 007.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 49
  • stihl cylinder 008.JPG
    stihl cylinder 008.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 52
  • stihl cylinder 009.JPG
    stihl cylinder 009.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 62
  • stihl cylinder 011.JPG
    stihl cylinder 011.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 55
  • stihl cylinder 014.JPG
    stihl cylinder 014.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 50
  • stihl cylinder 017.JPG
    stihl cylinder 017.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 55
  • stihl cylinder 010.JPG
    stihl cylinder 010.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 44
thanks for taking a little bit of your time,,,,,,,,,,,i joined site recently,,,,,,because I was impressed with you members knowledge and willingness to advise others........

Nothing in aftermarket so far and don't expect for the next few years! Why? Simply because it is a homeowner model and not a "desired pro" model! And 260 and 271 have a totally different internal engine setup, so your thinking is wrong again!
So sorry but it looks like you did a bad buy!

But I have read of people with a similar fate, writing a nice letter to Stihl and getting the parts for free or for a major discount. So you might have luck.

not such a bad buy,,,,,,1 day old,,,,,,,,,,$50,,,,,,,,,,can use bar and chain on my ms460, and part the rest out on ebay,,,,I was just addicted to reading the forums,,,,,impressed,,,and want to rebuild it if can at reasonable cost,,,,,cause I certainly can't afford to buy a new saw...was hoping aftermarket would be available sooner than few years......thank you for spending your time,,,,,,,,,giving appreciated input/feedback.......

The pics aren't the best, but that cylinder looks salvageable to me. Find mastermind's "removing aluminum transfer without acid (something like that) thread, follow the steps, pick up a piston and run it.

Edit: I figured out how to make the pics big on my phone, and I definitely think that cylinder can be cleaned

See it the same as Jon! That now looks like a great buy after looking at your pics!

Nothing further to add to Jon's recomendation!

Latest posts

Back