A "Hack" just did my Cottonwood removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do realize that if they do not have workers comp and you hire them YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEM! You are paying them to do a job so now YOU ARE THEIR EMPLOYER!

Typical ignorant homeowners-they just stick their head in the sand when it comes to inconvenient truths. Comes on an arborist's forum claiming half price hacks can do the job fine then complains about getting flamed.

Yeah you just got lucky. .. 80 hours at 1900? Wow they missed that bid

23.75 an hour, then the help and the fuel I wonder how much it cost the so called tree guys to do it?
If that's true they lost money, that's about 23.75 an hour minus help and fuel.

I see you are in Michigan: do you have any relatives in say, West Georgia?

The Reason I ask is I am a young, just starting out kinda guy, and if I do a satisfactory job, safely, and complete it, I would rather not get lambasted on the intertube.

So I will try to avoid that with customer selection.

Ok, guys, enough is enough. Lessons learned: Don't let your neighbor hire the tree guy, when the tree is half done before you see his work, fire him on the spot if you have any concerns and deal with him and your neighbor later and most of all, run him by all of you folks to make sure he checks out.

Ok, guys, enough is enough. Lessons learned: Don't let your neighbor hire the tree guy, when the tree is half done before you see his work, fire him on the spot if you have any concerns and deal with him and your neighbor later and most of all, run him by all of you folks to make sure he checks out.
I'll be serious for a minute:

1) the tree is removed
2) nothing was damaged
3) no one was injured
4) you got them to do extra work while they were there, that they completed, even if uncomfortably.
5) you saved enough money to correct any divets in your lawn.
6) you paid them what they requested

All in all, what have you got to complain about?

Y'all didn't contract a 1st class arborist, but in the end, the job you wanted, and paid for is done without bodily or property damage

Let this be a lesson, count your blessings, and move forward.

When someone post on a forum, criticism in a response is a definite possibility.

All things considered, I think you/y'all did ok.

Sure they could of been better looking, more professional, worn PPE correctly, etc.., but at the end of the day, you/ y'all received the work you contracted and paid for.

You don't get it,,, that is ok.
Jeff :)

I'll be serious for a minute:

1) the tree is removed
2) nothing was damaged
3) no one was injured
4) you got them to do extra work while they were there, that they completed, even if uncomfortably.
5) you saved enough money to correct any divets in your lawn.
6) you paid them what they requested

All in all, what have you got to complain about?

Y'all didn't contract a 1st class arborist, but in the end, the job you wanted, and paid for is done without bodily or property damage

Let this be a lesson, count your blessings, and move forward.

When someone post on a forum, criticism in a response is a definite possibility.

All things considered, I think you/y'all did ok.

Sure they could of been better looking, more professional, worn PPE correctly, etc.., but at the end of the day, you/ y'all received the work you contracted and paid for.

You don't get it either,, that is ok,,
Jeff :)

Still very sensitive.

Actually, go post it in the homeowners forum as per the sites instructions.

There's a whole other part of this caper that stinks like a rotten fish: Its blatantly obvious these guys savagely under quoted the job-your response is to come on the internet and smugly gloat about coming out on top...

"We'll probably plant another tree in a year or two" ranks right up there with "The check's in the mail".

Lesson unlearned--don't bash tree roots with lawnmowers!

Don't be so hard on this guy fellows, he and his neighbor were great to work for. Our kids needed shoes, two of us needed money to get our drivers licenses back and all three of us had probation officer fees that were lagging.

We did bid it low but made up some selling the firewood as Quercus trichocarpa (cotton oak).
but you spent the money on meth anyway.....

A meth crew would have topped and dropped it regardless of risks and took a 1000.00$ cash draw before completion and not have cleaned up the mess. These guys abuse old Milwaukee... 5 days for 1900... no meth here just cheap beer cheap smokes and a wore out jeep.

A meth crew would have topped and dropped it regardless of risks and took a 1000.00$ cash draw before completion and not have cleaned up the mess. These guys abuse old Milwaukee... 5 days for 1900... no meth here just cheap beer cheap smokes and a wore out jeep.
it was a joke really. well,pretty much.

I have known many a good tree worker that doesn't wear ppe and can't climb spurless. So what if they underbid the job, sounds like a nasty ass cottonwood and while they were spinning their gears for a week, they missed out on more attractive jobs. For future reference, the state labor and industries websites usually has a contractor verification which will let you check out who you are hiring. Never hire an unlicensed contractor, if something goes wrong (which is much more likely if they are not licensed) then the home owner assumes all liability.

Oh, wait... Now I remember why I used to surf the Commercial Tree Care and Climbing forum for years. These threads are way more entertaining than the woodworking forums I surf now. Those guys are way to boring.

Latest posts

Back