ISC Compact Rigging Pulley

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanlarkin

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just a quick heads up that we just got a large shipment in of ISC's new Compact Rigging Pulley. Judging by how fast we sold out of these at TCIA Expo, I figured some folks have probably been waiting on them to arrive.

If you've not seen these yet, check out the link. They're small but strong, like a body-building elf. :)

http://www.sherrilltree.com/ISC-Compact-Rigging-Pulley

-Sean

So 1/2" sling too. Will you be offering this with a loopie installed. As you do the rock erotica micro blocks?

So 1/2" sling too. Will you be offering this with a loopie installed. As you do the rock erotica micro blocks?
The sling sheave takes up to 5/8". We weren't planning to offer a combo quite yet. Going to see if we notice a pattern of any specific sling being purchased along with the block.

-Sean

I purchased one at TCIA and have used it numerous times since.
It's light and compact. Made my own 5/8 sling. Hardly noticeable on my harness.
It's my go to block for limbs and most tops before switching to a larger block for the bigger stuff.

Hey guys,

Just a quick heads up that we just got a large shipment in of ISC's new Compact Rigging Pulley. Judging by how fast we sold out of these at TCIA Expo, I figured some folks have probably been waiting on them to arrive.

If you've not seen these yet, check out the link. They're small but strong, like a body-building elf. :)

http://www.sherrilltree.com/ISC-Compact-Rigging-Pulley

-Sean
It looks great but if it's so strong why does it only handle a 1/2 inch line, I'd buy one but it won't handle 5 /8 or 9/16 I like using a rope that handles 10,000 plus.

It looks great but if it's so strong why does it only handle a 1/2 inch line, I'd buy one but it won't handle 5 /8 or 9/16 I like using a rope that handles 10,000 plus.

It has to be that strong. Blocks usually see double the force that the line load is.
If I'm running 1/2" super-braid (8,700 tensile) or 1/2" stable braid (10,400 tensile), I want to know that the block will hold what the rope can.
For the block to handle the larger ropes, it will require a larger sheave (to maintain a proper 4:1 bend radius) and stronger side plates to support the 13-16,000 mbs of the 9/16 & 5/8 ropes.
Thus making the block that much larger, and therefore defeating the small size benefits of this useful block.

It has to be that strong. Blocks usually see double the force that the line load is.
If I'm running 1/2" super-braid (8,700 tensile) or 1/2" stable braid (10,400 tensile), I want to know that the block will hold what the rope can.
For the block to handle the larger ropes, it will require a larger sheave (to maintain a proper 4:1 bend radius) and stronger side plates to support the 13-16,000 mbs of the 9/16 & 5/8 ropes.
Thus making the block that much larger, and therefore defeating the small size benefits of this useful block.
Thank you, it's not too much better than my 1/2 inch 16,000 lbs. Stainless, for more than double unfortunately.

Thank you, it's not too much better than my 1/2 inch 16,000 lbs. Stainless, for more than double unfortunately.

I'll have to assume that you are using a 1/2 pulley as I have yet to see a stainless steel block that would be priced around $65.
Although arborist blocks and pulleys can be rated for the same weight, they are designed for a different style of use.
Blocks are designed for shock loading. Pulleys are designed to be used in pretensioned lines. Shock loading a pulley can damage the cheek plates.
This is not my picture, however I have seen similar damage occur in a pulley being used in the place of a block.
image.jpg
Here is another one:
image.jpg

Yes, I've a couple of blocks, I use the stainless for smaller things, I never shock load w/more than the safe working load of 1,600 probably more like a few hundred. I typically use a loopie w/a steel Caribbeaner 25kN I think, doesn't matter loopie is a thousand. You know sometimes you just don't want to haul a block up, you can easily climb up the tree w/a loopie and stainless.

I'll have to assume that you are using a 1/2 pulley as I have yet to see a stainless steel block that would be priced around $65.
Although arborist blocks and pulleys can be rated for the same weight, they are designed for a different style of use.
Blocks are designed for shock loading. Pulleys are designed to be used in pretensioned lines. Shock loading a pulley can damage the cheek plates.
This is not my picture, however I have seen similar damage occur in a pulley being used in the place of a block.
View attachment 392343
Here is another one:
View attachment 392356
Second photo is aluminum, 7 maybe 8k

A spring loaded pin would be a nice improvement, my favourite one is 15 years old shows no signs of wearing out and is good for an obscene amount of weight. Just a little chunky to use if you need to rope the top off a tree "18 in diameter at the base.

Yes the second pic is aluminum. Just used that picture to show the results of shock loading a pulley.

Like mentioned earlier, one on the benefits of the small ISC block is it's light compact size. I can keep it on my saddle and not notice it.

I'm always acquiring and trying new gear. Hope to try out some x-rings next.

Back