Replacement saw for old 55 rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountaineer51

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for a husky with a magnesium case , x-torque , and 3/8 chain.
The reason I say X-torque is the emission reduction. Running that old 55 gave me a freakin headache from suckin down its fumes after a good while of running it.
What do you guys think?

Any 50-60cc saw from the two major players (Husqvarna=Jonsered or Stihl) in the farmer or pro class will full fill your expectations.

Although, depending on the amount you cut, there have been other often reported causes for a headache during cutting. Very often switching from one two stroke oil to another is enough for a relief. Further depending on the amount you are cutting, many people that have switched from home mix to pre mix/alkalyt fuel have reported a major improvement.

Good luck!

the husqvarna 545 or 550xp. WAY smoother, WAY more powerful and they sip fuel. you won't regret either. the 545 is the same saw as the 550xp, (same engine, same saw) other than a few minor bits and 100-160 bucks cheaper and all orange.

the husqvarna 545 or 550xp. WAY smoother, WAY more powerful and they sip fuel. you won't regret either. the 545 is the same saw as the 550xp, (same engine, same saw) other than a few minor bits and 100-160 bucks cheaper and all orange.
Sorry but that is not correct! 545 & 550 are not the same saw! Similar in almost all parts but still there is a reason for the power difference.

Sorry but that is not correct! 545 & 550 are not the same saw! Similar in almost all parts but still there is a reason for the power difference.

for all intensive purposes they are the same saw. Same case, same engine, same piston and cylinder, same carb same plastics and covers, expect the XP has the rev boost coil and grey clutch cover and 150-200 dollar higher price tag. my brother has a 545 and I have a 550. Side by side you can't tell a performance difference in wood up to 20" and 99% of people that cut firewood here won't be able to tell the difference between rev boost and not unless professionally limbing a tree.

Well the saw still runs well. It slowly started getting harder and harder to pull. Like way harder than when it was new. The exhaust is clear. Someone told me B & C oil must be getting into the crankcase. I dunno though. I don't know what else would cause it. I put a new pull cord assembly on just for the heck of it and it didn't change anything

I went from a Husky 55 to a Husky 2100. Then you're are not out in the woods near as long. It may smoke more, just not as long!;)

Back