Alaskan Mill w/ 4 stroke engine vs chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id like to see some plans and maybe picture of a chainsaw mill like the ones on the videos! they seem kinda simple for the most part.

I was just thinking about this today while running our mill at work. We run a (terrible) bandsaw mill as a replacement for our former chainsaw milling operation, and I've been planning on building a mill for home for a long time.
The band mill is fast in comparision with the CSM setup time, but we have endless problems with rapid dulling, the blade diving and messing up the cut, adjustments slipping, etc. It's a nightmare 50% of the time. Should have bought a Turner instead of a Simplicity.

I've got steel for a 16' carriage laying around, I've got most of what I would need to build a 4 post head, and I can easily scrounge up a 15+hp vertical shaft engine. I can sharpen chain well, I got into progressive rakers back when we were running a CSM a lot, and I've got lots of steel laying around... It'd be a fun project.

Hi Devin, just wondering how you went with this?

Also, BobL, I'd like to add my voice to those clamouring for BIL Mill 2 pics / video. I have come back looking 3 or 4 times over the last couple of years hoping you will have re-posted the missing photos. I have an old wonky home built Alaskan style with an 090 that I bought, and a new GB 56" that needs me to build a mill around it. I'd really love to build yours, or at least maybe an ugly cousin :)

One key consideration is the amount of hp and torque that any given saw chain is capable of handling. If you build a setup with too much power you will be breaking chains. Or you will be forced to use large chain built to withstand the high up. This will result in a mill that will make lots of sawdust as the kerf of a large chassis chain will necessarily be wide. Food for thought. I too will stay tuned to this build. One thing for sure is you got the skills to build something nice!

One key consideration is the amount of hp and torque that any given saw chain is capable of handling. If you build a setup with too much power you will be breaking chains. Or you will be forced to use large chain built to withstand the high up. This will result in a mill that will make lots of sawdust as the kerf of a large chassis chain will necessarily be wide. Food for thought. I too will stay tuned to this build. One thing for sure is you got the skills to build something nice!

Guys using Lucas slabbers (up to 30HP) use 404 chain on a large bars.
It's surprising how little difference there is between 404 and 3/8 kerf sizes.
See http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/real-kerf-sizes.137465/

More power than this and I'd be looking at harvester products but as this gets exxy, even before that I'd be looking at bandsaws

The band mill is fast in comparision with the CSM setup time, but we have endless problems with rapid dulling, the blade diving and messing up the cut, adjustments slipping, etc. It's a nightmare 50% of the time. Should have bought a Turner instead of a Simplicity.

This is what happens when you buy a POOR QUALITY BSM! It's like buying some poor quality china made chain saw with junk bars, that doesn't work worth a hoot either!

Buying "quality" get's you this, (notice I didn't say paying a lot of money)

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

SR

Latest posts

Back