Help with Ash for turning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve t

Reaction score
A friend had an ash tree dropped in his yard and gave the wood to his son in law to burn. I was thinking of getting a piece of it to use for some turning projects. What do I need to ask for ( grain?) and how would I treat it to keep it from cracking as it dries? how long should I let it dry before working with it?

Thanks in advance,

Steve t

Hello Steve, Not sure what you mean by asking for in grain? Get a piece of the crotch or where a limb comes out ( this will probably give you the best figured grain, unless it has a Burl) and split it down the middle to give yourself two Y looking pieces. If turning bowls or platters I rough turn over size then let dry slowly and watch for cracks, if one appears glue it with CA glue so it doesn't go any further. I let my blanks dry in the shop until they are as dry as they will get there then bring them in the house to finish drying. You can check how dry they are by weight and moisture meter.If cutting into squares for other turning projects seal the ends with anchor seal ideally or paint( which I don't have good luck with but some do),wax,ect..

Back