How high would you climb this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having known dozens n dozens of groundmen who aspired to become climbers, then learning the hard way that they weren't suited for it, and returning to groundman status, only strengthens my conviction that climbing trees requires that certain mix of physical dexterity and mental confidence that's only found in a relatively small minority of the general population.

The vast majority of the tree service owners I've worked for over four decades now didn't have what it takes to be successful climbers, yet did have what it takes to run successful tree services. Three of them are now millionaires!

What I'm saying is you don't have to be a climber to succeed in this biz by any means.

It scares the bejesus out of me to give advice on the Internet to beginning climbers who for all I know are completely unsuited to become climbers in the first place, who then take that advice and get themselves hurt or killed.

The crux of the matter is that every beginner needs at least one pro on their job to keep them from getting into something way over their heads, and the Internet is no substitute for that by any stretch of the imagination, IMO.

Which is why I strongly suggest DB gets a pro to teach him how to get even such a straight forward and easy removal safely on the ground.

It's my opinion that the dude in your vid made a series of mistakes to get rag dolled like that DB. Too big a top, amateur on the rope, not stabilizing himself well enough to take a relatively minor ride, and most importantly, losing his footing during that ride. I suspect his gaffs were dull or too short to penetrate past the cambium into the heartwood or xylem of that euc.

I'm constantly amazed and flabbergasted by how many supposedly pro climbers I meet with dangerously dull or too short gaffs to work hardwoods down safely with. Sure they may work in softwood conifers n such, but are downright dangerous accidents waiting to happen in hardwood trees like eucs etc.

Live long and prosper DB.

jomoco

is it ok to drop the top in the yard? I don't see why you couldn't climb to the last 10 feet of it. you could tie off with an additional line lower if you are that worried about it. you would get busted up if it broke and a lower line caught you but you'd live.

To answer the titled question, as high as needed to do the job. On white pine I don't get into the tiny wood if I don't have to. But when I do I'll tie off lower and capture my line with loop runners and caribiners as I go higher. Or tie off and double wrap my lanyard. On that tree I'd probably zip it but might just let the top sail. Can't give any real advice without seeing it for myself.

Would Pete have taught ACRT classes in the late 90's by any chance? It's been a long time and I'd have to dig up my paperwork to check my instructors last name.

Compare the wood diameter of this easy Euc removal surrounded by targets, to the wood diameter that rocked the climber off his footing in your vid DB.

The reason I use a handsaw on the first few zips?

To make dang sure my 200's got enough fuel for the 75 feet of trunk wood below me.

jomoco

Compare the wood diameter of this easy Euc removal surrounded by targets, to the wood diameter that rocked the climber off his footing in your vid DB.

The reason I use a handsaw on the first few zips?

To make dang sure my 200's got enough fuel for the 75 feet of trunk wood below me.

jomoco

thank you @jomoco the video was very helpful

[QUOTE="dblack, post: 5170141, member: 86441

What is the cause for the accident that happens in this video [/QUOTE]

there a whole newish school of thought about how trees grow and response to wind inputs. it focus on damping of energy by the tree mass and limbs absorbing the wind input and consuming - dampening that energy. In the case with all the limbs removed the harmonic of the remaining trunk responded when the top section popped off
Some are saying in cases such as this leave a few lower limbs or prepare & enjoy the ride

There's no doubt a tree is more stable with its total weight. That's not what happened in that video. That was way too much top for some hardware store rope. Just go up higher. Under most circumstances you are a flea to a tree. Even smaller trees.

i think in the honk kong vid he actually snagged a tag a line or sumthin as the head went over that generated the snap back but it was handy to illustrate the forces,,, sadly not for him

look up dr Ken James tree bio dynamics there some good reads on the topic about

That would be a perfect zip line tree. I think I'd just go up as high as I felt confertable. And tie off the top, but letting it run all the way to the ground. I would probably hinge it over easy.
Ieaving a small stub and taking one wrap around the tree letting the stub catch it, will act like a brake, don't need no groundsman on rope.

This is a pretty straight forward removal but....I'm going to assume that maybe you don't have 100 years of experience (nothing wrong with that) so I'll break it down for you as to how I would do it. I can't say for sure if I would remove all of the lower limbs because I can't see what's below the tree (I probably would and I might leave some stubs...maybe not.) I count maybe 7-8 branches from the bottom. Go up to that point (with your feet at branch 7 or 8), notch the top (rope it) and drop it toward the area with the biggest landing area and the least obstructions on the way down. If it makes you feel safer, rope it the way you normally would and also set a line higher in the top so someone can pull the top over in the direction of the notch. If you're worried about it swinging back at you, set your pulley or fulcrum a little closer to your feet so it swings and falls below you. Be prepared to go for a little ride if you have newbs on the ground. Rinse, repeat...until you can drop the trunk safely. It should go without saying, but if you leave some of the lower branches, you need to account for the possible roll the tree might take when you drop it over. If you're experienced enough that this post insults your opinion of yourself, I apologize...I can only evaluate what I'm reading. If you find this helpful...great. Let us know how it goes. And.....just do it! Don't over-think it. Especially if you have that second line up there. Just do what you know you have to do. You can talk yourself out of a lot of things.

What he said. Get to a point a slight bit above half way up, set a rope above that point to pull the top to whatever direction you want it to go, tie the butt of the upper trunk to the remaining trunk below where you want to cut and have at it. The slightly shorter top will fall to the direction of the pulled rope and the top won't hit the ground due to it being shorter that the remaining trunk is tall. The lower trunk isn't going to break from your weight and the weight of the upper trunk if you're around the half way point. Keep in mind, the lower half is larger diameter and stronger and the upper is tapering as you go up making it lighter. Go for it!!

Thanks for caring bro
Maybe won day I'll find enuff ****s to will myself two change it
What? That sentence makes no sense. Your spelling is atrocious, my man. And no worries about my cares. Just hate to see the english language butchered, ya dig?

Latest posts

Back