Anyone else climbing in the snow?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was in the 50's again today but it won't last forever. Pretty soon it will be back down in single digits with negative wind chills.....and I'll still be climbing. If you live where I live and you work all year, you just have to learn to deal with it and maintain focus. I once had my boom nearly straight up in the air in -55 wind chill for a removal and have spent countless days climbing in -20 to -35 wind chill. I can't really even accurately convey how cold that feels. Instant "ice cream headache" when you face the wind, tears freeze on your cheeks and your beard is covered in ice. Your hands have already been frozen and are now pretty warm for the rest of the day. I think those are probably the most dangerous conditions to climb in and I have a lot more years of experience doing it than I care to remember.

Edit to say....reading that...I'm sure you guys can see how I'm not afraid of a tree with snow or ice on it. :)

Yep. Snow makes it miserable but I still get my 40 in. I don't really mind the cold. Snow makes things take longer so the profit margin is down for the boss but it's still paying the bills. The banks don't care what the weather is like.

Ya we have no choice either. Only other option is to sit at home, got to make some money, at least it slows down the winter outflow of cash. tomorrow I have to dig to find the stumps I got to grind out. br600 leaf blower usually helps out a lot. We literally use it to blow the snow off yards down to bare grass so we can drive in. takes some time sometimes but can really make a difference.

Im either thinking 4x4 rear mount for next winter or a spider lift not sure yet. I really like the spider lifts but we cant live without a bucket. if you tried to do right of way work or any high production trimming it would hurt you a lot. the only way I would do a tracked lift is if I could afford both a bucket and the lift.

After using an elevator truck ive been ruined, being able to get the lower boom that extra 15ft above the wires to boom over makes a big difference.

I like to go in the afternoon and remove the snow from the ground for the next days work. Helps to get the frost to go deeper. Not to derail but I'd go with the elevator first if you want to do ROW.

You move slow, and if you drop anything in the snow, it's gone. Biners, handsaw, gone; gone.
Had my glasses (prescription) get brushed off my noggin a few years ago, and did manage to find them........minus one lens. Non profit tree removal.

Coldest I ever worked was -39. On a roof, not trees. Coldest in the trees was probably closer to -30.

And you move slow, that's for damn sure.
30 below is nuts lol I can handle the cold but that may be a good day to catch up on paperwork. I do get nervous about losing stuff in the snow tho. We take a tarp and keep everything in it.

30 below is nuts lol I can handle the cold but that may be a good day to catch up on paperwork. I do get nervous about losing stuff in the snow tho. We take a tarp and keep everything in it.

Yep, working in serious cold can be a lot of fun or painfully miserable. You have to have the clothing, the mindset, and reasonable expectations of what can be accomplished.

It's like the ocean - disrespect it and it will eat you in short order. :eek:

I've had days were it was well below zero and when we took our morning coffee break, we sat outside with gloves off and coats unzipped while steam poured out from inside our coats. I wish every cold day was like that!

I wear two different under armor shirts along with thermals and sweatshirt. That usually does me pretty good.
Was working this tree today. When we started at was 9 out.

Nice! :)

The only time I ever feel sorry for my climber is when he's up there and it's cold enough to freeze his fingers. Anyone who knows the searing pain of frozen fingers having to hold on tight to something knows how nasty this can be. As do you I'm sure. Tough to be stuck motionless in the cold and the wind and try to warm up.

Snow what snow, I live in Minnesota and it looks like April around here, as far as climbing in extreme cold try Carhartt they've got some gloves out there that are about $50 but they're really good.

If the wind is blowing around 15 mph I freeze to death at 20 degrees. I never could take the cold too good. OTH, heat never bothered me much.

Oh grow a pair, would you. :nofunny:

(In truth I'd be puking and passed out by noon in the heat you get.)

And speaking of "a pair" and working in the cold, you'll never get to play detective and solve "The Mystery of the Disappearing Testicles". After a day working in -20 or better, you come home and get straight into the shower, and right away it hits you: "Ma boys" Where ma boys?" :eek:

Well they snuck up behind your sternum with Mr. Happy, and nobody is coming back down until it warms up.

It's like being neutered. :laugh:

Oh grow a pair, would you. :nofunny:

(In truth I'd be puking and passed out by noon in the heat you get.)

And speaking of "a pair" and working in the cold, you'll never get to play detective and solve "The Mystery of the Disappearing Testicles". After a day working in -20 or better, you come home and get straight into the shower, and right away it hits you: "Ma boys" Where ma boys?" :eek:

Well they snuck up behind your sternum with Mr. Happy, and nobody is coming back down until it warms up.

It's like being neutered. :laugh:
wow your sternum well there really up in there then aren't they

Latest posts

Back