Daihatsu 34HP diesel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimma

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone know what oil is recommended for the Daihatsu Diesel for very cold weather. Having a hard time finding any literature on it and it doesn't act right. Currently using 10-40W, but it takes an hour to warm up to full power in zero degree temps. I know it is a stupid question, but this engine is apparently fragile and I really don't want to blow it up.

We use 5w40 or 0w40 in all our stuff. 0w40 is a bit harder to find, might actually be a "only in Alaska" deal, we have to get it from a local petroleum supplier that services the north slope no parts stores carry it.. 5w40 is very common, about $22 a gallon at Walmart here.

Is 10w40 even diesel rated? 15w40 would be the common diesel oil.

Also plugging it in would help a ton.

Thanks AK, This is the first diesel Ive owned and it acts very sluggish in this w. I appreciate the advice.

I run rotella t6 5w40 in everything I own diesel and gas. Great for all weather and pretty cheap when it's on sale at tsc. I would highly recommend it. After 100 hrs on the tractor it looked new. I have a friend who sends his oil to a lab for testing and they recommend running 12k in his power stroke

If you use Mobile 1 make sure it's the one for diesel, not the regular one. It would say Turbo Diesel Truck on it. It's a bit harder to find vs Rotella or Delo.

Hmm, not sure why the typing is so big?!

When I had my power equipment shop, I was an authorized dealer and service center for those Daihatsu diesels. They were the diesel of choice for one of our lines of commercial mowers. In my opinion, they are a low hour, throwaway engine. The mower manufacturers who chose those for their diesel powered machines did so because: 1. They could not make a deal with Kubota to supply engines, and/or #2. They wanted a diesel they could sell CHEAP.
We always used Rotella 15w40 in those. Of course, we do operate at higher summer temps. than you do.
My advice on that engine is this. Do not spend any big money on repairs if something serious happens to it. Yank it out and install a Kubota or maybe a Yanmar. Spending money on that engine is just throwing money down a rathole.
Jeff

Biggest cold weather diesel problems that I've had are:
#1 fuel additives to prevent gel
#2 glow plugs / plug relays.

With a few of your glow plugs bad you may be able to start but it will all out drag until it warms up good enough to fire for effect on all cylinders.

It wouldn't take more than a min or two to get all cylinders to light. My big truck has no grid heater or glow plugs and it does that. The engine also weights 2500+lbs and has about 10 gals of oil to warm up though. (14L Cummins)

We're running Kawasaki's K-Tech 10w-30 oil in these engines (Mostly the 31HP Gas & 26HP Natural Diesel).

You do have good fuel & filters?

Also seen turbo's go on these and that will cause them to load up.

When I had my power equipment shop, I was an authorized dealer and service center for those Daihatsu diesels. They were the diesel of choice for one of our lines of commercial mowers. In my opinion, they are a low hour, throwaway engine. The mower manufacturers who chose those for their diesel powered machines did so because: 1. They could not make a deal with Kubota to supply engines, and/or #2. They wanted a diesel they could sell CHEAP.
We always used Rotella 15w40 in those. Of course, we do operate at higher summer temps. than you do.
My advice on that engine is this. Do not spend any big money on repairs if something serious happens to it. Yank it out and install a Kubota or maybe a Yanmar. Spending money on that engine is just throwing money down a rathole.
Jeff

Most manufactures that ran these engines used the standard radiator package which wasn't enough to keep the engine cool. Especially the turbo diesels.

I have seen many of the gas and natural diesels engines still going at 5,000 - 6000 hours

02-19-2012 RPI 109 Engine Wiring 001.JPG

5-26-2011 HTL&S Ventrac 4226D 010.JPG

You make a very good point about the cooling system used on most of these engines. Around here, lack of proper cooling is a big issue.

I have 2900 hours on my 2005 352, changed the oil every 50 to 100 hours (air filter every 150 hrs) Only repair was to change the head gasket once. I was able to do that myself after finding the entire engine overhaul manual online. so far really happy with my experience with the engine.

We've been a dealer for quite a while. The only "Failure" we see are head gaskets. Sometimes for no apparent reason.
Because you guys always take meticulous care of your equipment.

Back