Moving Tree Debris: Back To Front Yard ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what if it's a big fir and it has to come out of a 30" gate, down a 3 tiered, turning sidewalk, then down some more stairs? good old man power.

Amen to that. I guess that's why I decided to minimize my workforce to just me and to maximize my productivity by buying good productive equipment. I'll repeat my earlier response to the original question posed - I would suggest the purchase or rental of a tracked mini skid steer to move debris from back yard to front. I've been doing so with my bobcat mt-50 for a year now and have yet to damage any turf any more than excessive trips by foot or wheelbarrow would - and I can complete the cleanup in a fraction of the time that manual labor could. In the long run, it means more money in my pocket and fewer headaches. I'd rather deal with equipment breakdowns than with AWOL or lazy employees - been there and done that and will not be going back!

I love my mini skid so much that I've even considered marketing used ones in my area as no local dealers have caught on yet. I get contractors stopping by my worksites all the time to watch it at work.

I know I'm not that good a bobcat operator, but everytime I run it when the grass is wet or frozen, the turf gets ripped to **** when I try and turn. What's the secret? Most of the time I'm using the machine to load wood and small logs into a 30 yd bin. Nothing like picking up a large chunk and balancing on the front wheels, then getting it high enough to go over the side of the bin.

BC WetCoast said:
I know I'm not that good a bobcat operator, but everytime I run it when the grass is wet or frozen, the turf gets ripped to **** when I try and turn. What's the secret?

Back in the day when I worked around the Twin Cities, we used a Gehl skid-steer loader.(like a Bobcat) The owner had slicks on the tires... or I mean the tires were slicks. They were smooth and when we turned, we went back and forth turning in the direction we wanted to go ever so slightly.

Right turn:

Forward a little to the right.
Backward a little to the left.
Forward a little to the right.
Backward a little to the left.

Repeat... until you faced the desired direction.

Maybe something more like forward 3ft to 7ft turning right.
Backing up 3ft to 7ft while turning the backside to the left.

It worked for us at the time and was impressed how well it worked.

StihlRockin'

Another consideration:
In order of risk, you're probably most exposed while driving to the job, then it's getting the tree down. Next big risk area for most of us is the heavy lifting. Without mechanical assistance, our backs, knees or ankles are very likely to suffer some failure. I belive that smart working will get us longevity, and failure to make the step up will doom us to short, brutal existences.
For those of us running bigger crews, any risk reduction pays even better.

I know I'm not that good a bobcat operator, but everytime I run it when the grass is wet or frozen, the turf gets ripped to **** when I try and turn. What's the secret? Most of the time I'm using the machine to load wood and small logs into a 30 yd bin. Nothing like picking up a large chunk and balancing on the front wheels, then getting it high enough to go over the side of the bin.

I run turf tires on my Bobcat 371 wheel loader and make wide turns when possible on my Mt-50 track loader - that's the trick.

Yes, there are times when you might have to turn sharply and it will tear up sod. There are also times when you won't be able to get even a mini skid into tight spots and might have to use manual labor; however, for probably 90% of the time, a small skid loader will do the trick and, with a little practice in how to make turns, you'll get proficient at keeping the turf intact.

Amen to that. I guess that's why I decided to minimize my workforce to just me and to maximize my productivity by buying good productive equipment. I'll repeat my earlier response to the original question posed - I would suggest the purchase or rental of a tracked mini skid steer to move debris from back yard to front. I've been doing so with my bobcat mt-50 for a year now and have yet to damage any turf any more than excessive trips by foot or wheelbarrow would - and I can complete the cleanup in a fraction of the time that manual labor could. In the long run, it means more money in my pocket and fewer headaches. I'd rather deal with equipment breakdowns than with AWOL or lazy employees - been there and done that and will not be going back!

I love my mini skid so much that I've even considered marketing used ones in my area as no local dealers have caught on yet. I get contractors stopping by my worksites all the time to watch it at work.

I think this is huge...you invest in some good equipment and you maintain it will its not gonna break down.

Less cost:

Labor per man
Workmans Comp
Other...etc.

Mini Skid...load it in the dump trailer and off to the job...i think in most situations of working is in res. work here...that 2 men...good climber and a good groundman and a good mini skid...you can work as efficent as a 3 or even 4 man crew.

JMO.

Lot's of humping for us. Have had stuff many times in so tight of quarters that everything had to be cut and then split into manageable pieces. Fun. Usually the boss will send along a couple kids who think they are tough to help out on those jobs.

I'm pretty good at backing my chipper into weird places-try to get within winch range as much as possible, redirecting if needed. Otherwise, it's all about strong backs. Log dolly is pretty handy till the snow gets too deep.

We love open yards though-if a skidsteer will fit we leave all the wood for the pickup crew that's behind us.

Hey, hey canyon! You're moving up in the world! Didn't you used to be just a brush cutting service?

Hey guys,

I know this is an old thread, but I have to tell you about this device I made a few years ago a just patented this past summer. Google or Bing search TarpTow and you can see what this device does. It works with your riding lawn mower or zero turn to move all your yard needs. It doesn’t require a special tarp because I designed it to work with standard plastic sheeting such as what you use for vapor barrier in your house. I had a storm knock down four trees at my house and I was able to cut them into 20’ lengths and pull them to the front using the Tarp Tow device. Over the past three years of use, I’m still using the same two plastic sheets that are 10’x25’ in size 6mils thick. They show wear, but they still work and they don’t shread like a standard tarp. Also, this device does not use cables or chains and never uses grommets as a load connection point. Check it out and tell me what you think.

Thanks,

Mark Arnurius

It was me with the small hedge trimmer. It's all I had at the time. Small budget that I might add. Just built this thing for me a few years ago and it works so good I though other would like it too.

OK, I'll bite. You took a few pieces of perforated square tubing, strapped some plastic to it and your garden tractor and somehow managed to convince the US patent office that this was
unique enough tha it deserved a patent, and now you want to sell it to professional tree companies for $149.99 plus S&H? Without having the common courtesy of becoming an AS sponsor? Jusy making sure I'm clear.

Sometimes the simplest designs are the best.

The best thing is using the standard plastic because this simple tubing design allows the use of this strong material.

Also, I don't know anything about becoming a sponsor?

Can you help me in becoming one?

I'm just like anyone else and learning as I go.

Thanks for the comment.

Well, the first thing you need to learn is proper pruning techniques and using ppe (personal protective equipment ). Second, throwing debris on a tarp is not a new idea. hooking it to a machinr is not a new idea. Third, my smallest groundie can drag as much as that Cub Cadet. Fourth, that plasticc lasts about a week tops in a commercial setting. Fifth, No one is going to pay $150 for something they can make in a half hour with stuff laying around their shop. Sorry buddy, but I'm just not seeing it at all. Maybe post in the homeowner forum and you might find a few suckers.

One thing you have understand that this is designed for riding lawn mowers and zero turns. Not for any type loader or full size tractor. I'll glad that you have been doing this all the time. What is funny to say that this material is so inexpensive that you can easily beat my $99 version go ahead. As a company you have to make money or you will go broke, so to say you can beat my price that's easy when you don't charge your labor rate during the process. What is your labor rate during work and cost to clean up someones debris? Easily $100 to over $1000 in cleanup costs as compared to my product a one time buy. I have used it for three years in standard residential uses and have been able to use the same two sheets.

All my material is USA and not any china cheap products. It can handle 2000lbs of force that is 4x the towing capacity of any riding lawn mower or zero turn. This device is really a big help. Not everyone has this idea and can try to make it for themselves because they realize it takes time and testing to make sure it works. Maybe for the heavy tree industrial with trunks over 300lbs each, but it is made for the person who owns a riding lawn mower or zero turn and can do this work themselves and not hire someone for hundreds to thousands of dollars to clean up there area. It has no problem moving loads of 500lbs continuously because I and many of my clients do this and I still use those same two plastic sheets today.

Everyone I have ever seen trying to do this is using a tarp with grommets and even the heavy duty ones and they don't last. They set them up using cable and chains ready for those weak connection to break and spring back onto them. Plastic sheeting can be punctured and cut and it does not shred like a tarp does and can be used again easily and when layered together for strength they can move about anything. Also, this is a direct connected to eliminate spring back and kickback and it holds it by the material and not thru some cheap grommet connection.

I stand by my product and it is designed for residential uses and it does have a lifetime warranty to go along with them. They range from $99 to $219 depending on the machine. It is saving people time and money because they can do the work themselves without killing themselves moving there debris.

This device is for the normal home owner to get the job done without having to hire outside contractors to do their work for them costing them hundreds to thousands of dollars.

That is why I made this device and have shared it with people because of how good it works at any price point.

More info here

http://www.tarptow.com/what-is-the-tarp-tow-system.html

Latest posts

Back