30cc lightweight saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mn man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a a new saw around $200, 14"-16" bar and less then or around 9 pounds for my girlfriend to cut branches while i'm using my 50cc saw to but the bigger stuff. I've looked into the Stihl ms170 but i hated how it doesn't have the metal spikes, just plastic ones. Wasn't sure if i could buy the metal spikes seperate or not. I also looked into the dolmar ps32 since my 50 cc saw is also a dolmar and i love it and the dealer is great, but it's heavier and $50 more. I would look into an ecco, or efco, or jonesred, or husqvarna but im not familiar with those brands. Any suggestions or anyone know about my above question with the ms170?

O and please dont suggest mac's, poulan's, or any of the cheap walmart saw's please.... cause everytime i see someone using one they are breaking and they just grab the axe.

Yes you can put a spike from a MS200T and or a MS250. The 250 spike is a little bigger. If you look on the 170 you can see the mounting holes where the screws go.

Here ya go see the difference in size
0b82b1af7bd60d650266b518aff2911c.jpg

Smaller spike part # 1129 664 0500
Bigger one# 1123 664 0501
And 2 of these screws# 9074 477 4130

thanks for finding that for me. Do u think the stihl is the way to go? cause i'll be using the saw as well and i'm familiar with the dolmar's....

With two family gals have had good luck with electric chainsaws. Light, reliable, no gas, choke, pull start, muscle performance fear. Comfortable. No drip or fumes.
frankly, if your chain is sharp no need for spikes when trimming, gas or elec.

I think you cant go wrong with either, but i would bet that dolmar for $50 more would be a lot better built. Ive never handled a newer one but everyone ive heard of that has one absolutely loves it.

Me Wife runs a Dolmar 421. We bought it new.
It is a dandy little saw.

David

I'm not familiar enough with the homeowner saws to compare them to one another but the MS170 will do all you need it to do and is likely the lightest of the ones you listed. The Dolmar 421 is a great saw i have one and love it but that is over $200.

When my girlfriend is using it, she will just cutting branches off and cutting smaller logs while im using my bigger saw for the bigger stuff. When she's not around and i'm using it i'll be doing basically the same. She's not the greatest with the saw so i wanted the metal spikes so i can tell her to get the log against the spikes and go from there ( unless that's bad advice for her, since i've never really been taught how to do everything "properly" with a saw either). I did end up getting the dolmar ps32 since i'm familiar with it and the gas and oil tanks were bigger then the stihl ms170, and only like 11 oz. heavier and has the metal spikes, and found a heck of a deal ($199 with a case, and oil, next day free shipping). I also chose the dolmar over the stihl since the 2 stihl dealers by me know nothing about their saws and dont know what parts are available. It helps that the Dolmar dealer is a good guy who hasn't ripped me off and knows his stuff. Anyways the ps32 wont be used too much and sometime this year i'll most likely get a 7910xd. ps32 is also my loaner saw to my brothers or parents. Thanks everyone for the input.

Latest posts

Back