372xp Mod by Bell Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tntblaster14

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Tnshaker hooked me up with his brother for some mods to my 2003 372xp. This is the first ported/modded saw I've ran and holy cow is it fast! I can't believe I waited this long to send a saw off to have some work done. Running on 32:1 fuel mix right now, I might have to adjust the carb a little bit here in Maryland as I'm about 2000 feet lower in elevation, (which I haven't done as I was so excited to try it out) but I ran it for 4 hours yesterday in some frozen maple and it just chugged right along pulling a 24" bar no problem w/ LGX chain.

He did port work, Int 80 , Ex 96, Trans 125, base gasket delete, muff mod, and timing adjustments. The squish after delete was .080 and I decided to run the saw like that and if I wanted a pop-up piston I can send it back for that, but honestly I'm totally happy with the way it is right now. We'll see how reliable it is over the long run, but 4 hours of hard running in 30 degree weather, and no issues at all.

Youtube video he sent me:

Happy you like the saw Brent will be pleased that your happy. It is a very strong runner considering it has no pop up or the cylinder was not cut either. I love some old school 372. Even in the day of auto tune and m tronics the old 372 just continues to impress with some simple mods.

He did port work, Int 80 , Ex 96, Trans 125, base gasket delete, muff mod, and timing adjustments. The squish after delete was .080 and I decided to run the saw like that and if I wanted a pop-up piston I can send it back for that, but honestly I'm totally happy with the way it is right now.

So let me understand.... he machined/ported the cylinder and assembled w/o base gasket so you have the following numbers:
Intake: 80 degrees BTDC
Transfers: 125 degrees ATDC
Exhaust: 96 degrees ATDC
Therefore Blow Down Of: 29 Degrees (125-96=29)
Squish: .080

Is that correct?

It could have been less, but would have required more machine work to the cylinder and piston. The 372 I'm told runs well with a larger squish. But, I wanted to run it like this to see how I liked it and am pleased with the increases. If I wanna send it back to Brent, I can to have the rest of the work done, but chances are I will not. Hopefully Tnshaker pops in to comment.

it pulls nice..definitely fast. the tuning seems spot on to me. It sounds like your hight is at the top of the 'four stroke' and your low is definitely responsive. Sometimes they may change after multiple cuts then I just go a little more left on the low.
nice saw..advanced timing?

The cylinder was not machined. Base gasket delete only. Muffler mod, timing advance, intake and exhaust work. My brother does offer that as well as spinning a pop up piston. Customer stated he wanted to try it without the pop up or cut cylinder. The oem 372's are notorious for having a ton of clearance. Ths saw shows they can be made to run really well without the machine work. Of course more can be had by doing machine work. On this particular saw my brother does lik pop ups and if the customer wants can send it back for that.

Back