Stihl MS460R saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttyR2

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
One of the fire departments I work with has a pair of previous gen MS460R's. Neither have compression release and even the fit guys in the department regularly have a hard time starting them. I'm trying to figure out why putting decomp's on them would be a bad thing. The fact that one would let you start the saw easier up on a 4:12 or greater roof would be a positive safety thing.

The decomp plug is in the head, and it'd be simple to put valves back in them.

One of the fire departments I work with has a pair of previous gen MS460R's. Neither have compression release and even the fit guys in the department regularly have a hard time starting them. I'm trying to figure out why putting decomp's on them would be a bad thing. The fact that one would let you start the saw easier up on a 4:12 or greater roof would be a positive safety thing.

The decomp plug is in the head, and it'd be simple to put valves back in them.
I always found the release to make it start harder when cold. Loss of compression = harder to start. Proper starting technique and practice will help. The only time I use a compression release is if I have an injury and the saw is already warmed up then it starts with less resistance on your hand. Just easy to pull then but cold I say its harder to start.

Interesting. I've never found that to be the case on my 046. 5 pulls if it hasn't run in a while (days, weeks) and it lights off every time.

The only real issue is if the decomp could be some sort of issue in an emergency situation, which I suppose making it harder to start could be, but I haven't had that experience. Likewise...people wouldn't have to use it. In my case, I have a bit of a bum right-shoulder, so having a 460 jerk the handle out of my hand is a bad deal :)

Interesting. I've never found that to be the case on my 046. 5 pulls if it hasn't run in a while (days, weeks) and it lights off every time.

The only real issue is if the decomp could be some sort of issue in an emergency situation, which I suppose making it harder to start could be, but I haven't had that experience. Likewise...people wouldn't have to use it. In my case, I have a bit of a bum right-shoulder, so having a 460 jerk the handle out of my hand is a bad deal :)
Depending on the temperature mine starts 3 or 4 and with the release on 1 or 2 more.

I though all ms406's came with compression releases. Maybe someone plugged them on these saws, to eliminate a potential failure point?

Personally never needed a compression release on anything shy of 90cc's. But then again I am a pretty big fella (6'2" ~245) and have a really nasty drop starting habit. I don't see where it could hurt anything just adds another possible failure point as stated above.

Joe

I always found the release to make it start harder when cold. Loss of compression = harder to start. Proper starting technique and practice will help. The only time I use a compression release is if I have an injury and the saw is already warmed up then it starts with less resistance on your hand. Just easy to pull then but cold I say its harder to start.
At the local country store "local hangout" here listening to all the old farmers they are picking up newer saws or ones than can be fitted having the decomp installed for easier starting especially during the winter.
Couple of them ordered the Stihl fire and rescue saw pull rope and handle at the local dealer for their Stihls so they can grab them easier with their gloves on. I held a 391 with the big handle and actually thought about getting the big handle for my saws.
Would there be the downside for the big handle?

At the local country store "local hangout" here listening to all the old farmers they are picking up newer saws or ones than can be fitted having the decomp installed for easier starting especially during the winter.
Couple of them ordered the Stihl fire and rescue saw pull rope and handle at the local dealer for their Stihls so they can grab them easier with their gloves on. I held a 391 with the big handle and actually thought about getting the big handle for my saws.
Would there be the downside for the big handle?
It may pull easier but it wont start easier. It will take more pulls IMOHO at least with my drop starting WFO throttle method.

...and we aren't allowed to drop start saws in the fire service. Either start on with saw on the ground or with throttle handle wedged in your crotch (carefully). It's been a hard habit to break.

The only failure I've had with the decomp on my personal 046 is that it wouldn't stay open for more than one pull. I had to push it back in every time until I replaced it.

I have fitted the larger D handle on a few saws for some people, no issues at all. Also it takes no more pills than with the normal handle. I would suggest fitting them with the decomp and I see no issues as long as the right PM is done on the saws. The local Feuerwehr ( fire department ) start up all the equipment every week as well as drain out the fuel and replace with fresh. . So that they have the best chance for starting in an emergency situation.

I have fitted the larger D handle on a few saws for some people, no issues at all. Also it takes no more pills than with the normal handle. I would suggest fitting them with the decomp and I see no issues as long as the right PM is done on the saws. The local Feuerwehr ( fire department ) start up all the equipment every week as well as drain out the fuel and replace with fresh. . So that they have the best chance for starting in an emergency situation.
Did you just install the D handle or did you replace the rope-rotator as well?

Did you just install the D handle or did you replace the rope-rotator as well?
I installed just the handle. On a 440 and a 460 ( same guy ) also on a few snow blowers as well. Makes using the saw while wearing mittens much easier. Why not outfit 1 saw with the d handle and the decomp and see how the gents like it?

I installed just the handle. On a 440 and a 460 ( same guy ) also on a few snow blowers as well. Makes using the saw while wearing mittens much easier. Why not outfit 1 saw with the d handle and the decomp and see how the gents like it?
Yea some of the guys around here have both after adding them, two of my saws have the d-comp and I am seriously thinking about the D handle to the 291, 362, and 441.
Thanks for the info greatly appreciate it I will drop a call to my dealer tomorrow for the handles.

Yea some of the guys around here have both after adding them, two of my saws have the d-comp and I am seriously thinking about the D handle to the 291, 362, and 441.
Thanks for the info greatly appreciate it I will drop a call to my dealer tomorrow for the handles.

I actually got the handles from the clearance bin at the local Home Depot. .99 quite the bargoon!

10384.37588_4.jpg

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/d-pull-rope-handle.175450/

Latest posts

Back