Best Length Chip Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did. Few people realize the advantages of Isuzu cabovers
I've looked at them...I love the concept but they have much lower hp ratings than the US makers. How is the performance weighed down and on steep narrow roads?

My last truck was underpowered for what I threw at it and crawling up hills at 10mpg with a line of cars honking at me is not good advertizing for the business.

We're building one now almost 16' long and 6' high- should hold about 25-26 yds of chips. I think it really depends on what kind of work you're doing- this truck will be used for municipal street tree removals, and we'll also send it on our large residential removals. The weight, GVWR, and power of the truck begin to factor in... and its true that this truck will not be very manueverable in tight settings. If green chips weight about 500 lb/yd- we are looking at 12,500 lbs of chips, chipper is right at 10,000 lbs and truck maybe 10k?? so much for non-cdl truck!

I would post pics but can never figure that out

We're building one now almost 16' long and 6' high- should hold about 25-26 yds of chips. I think it really depends on what kind of work you're doing- this truck will be used for municipal street tree removals, and we'll also send it on our large residential removals. The weight, GVWR, and power of the truck begin to factor in... and its true that this truck will not be very manueverable in tight settings. If green chips weight about 500 lb/yd- we are looking at 12,500 lbs of chips, chipper is right at 10,000 lbs and truck maybe 10k?? so much for non-cdl truck!

I would post pics but can never figure that out

You're truck weight estimate is a bit light...figure closer to 15k or more for a truck with a 16' chip box. About 11k for a ford 650 and a nice dump body with the hoist will be at least 4k.

I see guys around here rocking rigs that must have a combined weight of 30k or more with the chipper but they're only stickered to 19k. I guess if you don't go through weigh stations or piss people off you can get away with it.

My chipper truck is a 99 f800. The bed is 15ft long and 6ft high fully enclosed and we are usually around 6.5 tons at the landfill.

I would say some where between 14 to 16 foot bed length. If you are going to go medium duty truck I would rather have it CDL and know that with about any load of chips and the chipper I won't be over weight. I think that whole 25999 gvw is a joke. Everyone thinks it is a good idea till they get caught by dot. Just my .02

My chipper truck is a 99 f800. The bed is 15ft long and 6ft high fully enclosed and we are usually around 6.5 tons at the landfill.
Your dump would be about 22 yards meaning the chips alone weigh 5.5 tons. Your truck loaded weighs 12.5 tons or 25,000 pounds. With a 6cyl diesel chipper you're at 17.5 tons/ 35,000 pounds.

I think our chips are heavier(Damn that looks misspelled) maybe because we are chipping so much larger wood.

So, what chassis are you using? I have a c5500 Chevy with a southco box capable of holding about 14 cut yds. It can get close to in 19500# before hooking to a chipper.

I'll have to look but I think it's 210. I also think this 1 has been turned up because its extremely strong and snappy compared to our others.

What do you all think a T6500 cabover (Isuzu FTR) with a 14' Arbortech UTV body on it full of chips hauling a Bandit 1590 weighs in at? Could that pass for under CDL?

Climbhightree, what is the story with that platform with the mini skid on it? Is that a hydraulic ramp bed? Or just a fixed flatbed there
Also, is that a plywood box or something to the left of your mini here?

Attachments

• b5a44bf85ab33b1c8abc664f2712e5eb.jpg
    b5a44bf85ab33b1c8abc664f2712e5eb.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 11
Back