• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy stihl 039 air filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marti384

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Looking for a good used or new air filter for a 039. The older style without that extra port on the back. My dealer wants an obscene amount for a new one. Thanks.

Ok, I checked and I did find a snorkel less filter but it's not in all that great of condition. I will try to snap a different outer on it and see if it goes together tighter.
On yours, if the inside portion is good, you may be able to put the outer piece from a different filter on it. The outer half is what usually takes the brunt of the wear.

Thanks for checking. I did take your earlier advice and changed out the carb. Or I should say ordered a different carb. Found a new $10 zama on ebay with that snorkel on it that is supposed to fit a 039. If it doesn't work out, I will be in touch with you on the older filter you have. Thanks again.

You can also jam a piece of foam in the hole for the snorkel and use the new style filter on the old style carb.

How much does the dealer want? Should be less than $20 for OEM. You are going to pay at least $5 to ship a used one. Selling at half price, $10 for the used filter plus $5 shipping equals nearly the price of new.

What kind of foam, it would need to be somewhat tight fit so it doesn't get sucked in, right? I also thought about just getting the new style and plastic welding that other port shut, but I do want to sell the saw at some point and don't want it to look to ghetto.

How much does the dealer want? Should be less than $20 for OEM. You are going to pay at least $5 to ship a used one. Selling at half price, $10 for the used filter plus $5 shipping equals nearly the price of new.

Dealer wants close to $40 for the filter

Dealer wants close to $40 for the filter
Retail is $18.01 at our Stihl Gold dealership, probably less if you are a good customer or leggy blonde. You need a new dealer, and take your part # in. If they don't know what they're doing on Media CAT, they'll likely order you a winter filter. The winter ones show up first in the computer for whatever reason. There are 4 different filters that will bolt on to that saw. Youll need to read TI 46.1997 for the PN, which my phone doesn't want to pull up right now.

There are 3 still dealers around me, and that is the best one. None of them are all that great. That is why I usually stick to huskys, since the dealers don't hose me on parts and actually know how to look them up. If my dealer only wanted $18, I would have got it from him. But $35 plus tax and a 2 week wait seemed ridiculous. Anyway, hopefully my new carb with the new style filter will resolve this when it gets here. They only wanted $9 for the filter with the snorkel on the back, so that seemed reasonable.

Ok, I read that wrong. It is $21.08 for the 1127 120 1611, and $8.25 for the 1127 120 1621 with the snorkel. Those are prices for OEM filters complete with nuts. I'd buy the snorkel filter, and put some silicone over the hole. I'm going to start doing that at the dealership. We were just carrying the 1611 and breaking out the snorkel for the later saws. The 1611 now has the snorkel cast into it, but it is covered. For $13 we'll carry the other one. Thanks for pointing this out to me!

I can't believe stihl let's there be such a difference in price from one dealer to another. Mine is almost double the price of yours.

Hey bud. I just use an old poulan foam filter, squish it in my fingers enough to push a piece through. It should look like a little bow tie in the end so it stays put.

I can't believe stihl let's there be such a difference in price from one dealer to another. Mine is almost double the price of yours.
Stihl doesn't. Each dealer is essentially an independent business. Also, with the recent price reduction on a lot of Stihl replacement parts, some dealers have parts on the shelves that they PAID more than current retail for. Nothing wrong with trying to get their $ back.

Back