Finally found an oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I finally found a two stroke oil that works like I want locally. DOLMAR fully synthetic.
For quite a few years I have learned that my Husky 55 prefers Husqvarna full synthetic oil. It just runs better on this versus any other oil I have tried. (and I have tried a bunch) I know many of you might say that the oil shouldn't effect how it runs but rather just the protection but I have found time and time again that every time I tried using a different oil my saw just didn't run as good. Wouldn't idle as good and didn't seem to start or run as good. The problem I kept running in to was the 30 minute drive to the nearest place to buy Husky oil. I always seemed to run out at the worst times.
Well finally a local farm store just 10 minutes away started stocking Dolmar. I gave it a whirl and PRESTO. Saw runs like it should.

A mini six pack came with my Dolmar saw, worked great, so I just kept using it. I've got no experience mixing any other synthetic. But, in the summer when the saw might sit for a couple weeks between running it, I use TruFuel pre-mix.

Premix oil plays a bigger role in performance than most people think

Oil threads are usually the devil. That being said I've tried a handful of oils and I got to really liking the Mobil 2T before they discontinued it. Since then I tried a couple others and have settled on Amsoil Saber at 50:1 and it seems a reasonable oil so far. It doesn't stink when you run it which was my complaint with a couple of the other oils although I haven't broken down a saw since I started using it to see how it's doing for buildup. If Mobil brought back 2T I'd happily go back though.

I've had a few temperamental 2 stroke engines over the years that would only run well on a certain brand of oil.

If something is under warranty I'll run exactly the oil and ratio they say. Otherwise I use whatever oil is reasonably priced and has the proper ratings for the intended use. I also usually mix a tad rich as its preferable to replace plugs instead of pistons. We did blow up several snowmobile engines on Injex during the 90's so that's the only brand I stay away from.

I finally found a two stroke oil that works like I want locally. DOLMAR fully synthetic.
For quite a few years I have learned that my Husky 55 prefers Husqvarna full synthetic oil. It just runs better on this versus any other oil I have tried. (and I have tried a bunch) I know many of you might say that the oil shouldn't effect how it runs but rather just the protection but I have found time and time again that every time I tried using a different oil my saw just didn't run as good. Wouldn't idle as good and didn't seem to start or run as good. The problem I kept running in to was the 30 minute drive to the nearest place to buy Husky oil. I always seemed to run out at the worst times.
Well finally a local farm store just 10 minutes away started stocking Dolmar. I gave it a whirl and PRESTO. Saw runs like it should.

+1 on the Dolmar!

I was using Stihl Ultra synthetic at 40:1 and had ZERO complaints except for the "smell". Went to a small shop that carries Dolmar saws and picked up a 6 pack of 2.6 oz bottles for $9.57. Works great, no smell. and the bright (very) blue color leaves no doubt you're pouring mix into the saw. No carbon buildup.

Since I've been reading lots of oil threads, and I'm going to switch to 32:1 with 93 octane on my next purchase. I may buy the larger Dolmar bottles and mix a simple 4oz to 1 gallon.

i use supertech outboard oil its only 12$ per gallon and does the job.

I won't criticize what other ppl do with their own equipment, but just as a friendly FYI, there was a thread in chainsaw awhile back about a guy using outboard 2 stroke oil(tcw-3). He literally ruined like 4, ms362's. Just food for thought.

As for my preference, I started out using a cheap oil, citgo maybe?? Hard to start & smoked quite a bit. I've since used stihl silver bottle. A 6 pack for ~$20 keeps me running for a long time.

I buy the bottle that makes 50:1 with 2.5 gallons of gas but have always just added 2 gallons. (approx 40:1)
This mix with husky full synthetic runs great and now the Dolmar does also. Hell for all I know it's the same with diff labels.
I have a rototiller that will drink about any combo I throw at it. Crap oil at 16: / 32:1 / etc. Runs the same every time. My saw just is a picky drinker.

To be honest i can't wrap my brain around why such a tiny amount of oil makes a difference but it does. (at least in my saw it does)

Back