X27 meets black walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
relax man we dont do or say something bad for theese guys, we just tell that if you can find something cheaper for fire, dont need to burn a very beautifull and expensive wood.
to tell you more simple how many cm3 of fire woods can buy , if you sale a 1 cm3 of good walnut to the furnitures industries.
I'm not worked up so no need to relax. ;) Just seems like lately around here every time someone posts a nice pic of hardwood rounds about 5 guys start telling them they should have milled it. Us regulars know that you guys mean well but infrequent/noob members may get discouraged from posting.

Rest assured that we try to make the best possible use of resources. Especially satisfying are junkyard finds brought back to a useful life! If you folks are interested in seeing some of my son's projects please visit his youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/RealWoodsmen?ob=0&feature=results_main

And if it helps any, it is my understanding, that mills tend to stay clear of backyard trees because of the many potential surprises. Personal experience helping a neighbor buck up some trees he had taken down yielded barbed wire, bird feeder hangars, clothes line hooks ... Though a civil war cannon would have been nice! I'd trade a dinged chain for that!

I'm not worked up so no need to relax. ;) Just seems like lately around here every time someone posts a nice pic of hardwood rounds about 5 guys start telling them they should have milled it. Us regulars know that you guys mean well but infrequent/noob members may get discouraged from posting.
Ok we burn a walnut of thousands dollars , just because some stupids do the same think .
The 5 guys just tell the same with other millions peoples around the world say for walnuts or other expensive woods, just go out and ask
and why the infrequent/noob members may discouraged from posting ??

why the infrequent/noob members may discouraged from posting ??
If you are a noob and get attacked for posting something that was well intentioned you may not come back. Sorry if I don't want this site and specifically this forum to have a reputation of being tough on noobs like some of the other saw sites.

And in this case the OP did state he salvaged what he could from this yard tree so the point is moot.

If you are a noob and get attacked for posting something that was well intentioned you may not come back. Sorry if I don't want this site and specifically this forum to have a reputation of being tough on noobs like some of the other saw sites.

And in this case the OP did state he salvaged what he could from this yard tree so the point is moot.
My friend you know very well that at this site everyone is wellcome, also you know that all help the noobs members, but we have and i think that must have differnt opinions, you like the stihls i the huskys, he the dolmars, this is that make this thread more interesting and more educational. Diferent opinions its not a reason to discouraged a member to dont make a thread again or dont post again, finaly its a forum like a coffe time , noone loose money noone loose job. in this thread you have diferent opinion than i , in an other maybe you agree, thats all nothing more , i tell again coffe time.

My friend you know very well that at this site everyone is wellcome, also you know that all help the noobs members, but we have and i think that must have differnt opinions, you like the stihls i the huskys, he the dolmars, this is that make this thread more interesting and more educational. Diferent opinions its not a reason to discouraged a member to dont make a thread again or dont post again, finaly its a forum like a coffe time , noone loose money noone loose job. in this thread you have diferent opinion than i , in an other maybe you agree, thats all nothing more , i tell again coffe time.
I hear you.

I mean some people will eat a 50" Muskie if they catch it. To each their own. That's akin to using Circassian walnut as firewood lol.

I hear you.

I mean some people will eat a 50" Muskie if they catch it. To each their own. That's akin to using Circassian walnut as firewood lol.
I dont know what is Muskie anyway, no no lets speak clear to burn a few thousands wood its like to brake a stihl 661 for repair a cheap used chineese saw. but if i have some circassians trees lets say 200 maybe i burn some small branches:D

You mill guys need to go easy on people around here. Not everyone wants lumber, some just want firewood.....

Not to mention...... who's gonna want 16" long pieces of lumber?:D

Edit: ok...upon further reading, I suppose gun stock makers, so never mind.

I've burned close to two cords of black walnut this year. I hauled it a couple of rounds at a time out of somebody's back yard through a 36" gate.

I don't know how many people have told me how much money it was worth and how it was too nice to burn. Well, I offered to sell it to everyone who said this and I got no takers. One guy was very persistent and I made him the offer of trading split hardwood for the black walnut I had.

All I know about it is that I don't mill but I do burn wood to keep warm. That black walnut split easy, burns well, and smells nice. It was worth about $1000 in heating to me.

I've burned close to two cords of black walnut this year. I hauled it a couple of rounds at a time out of somebody's back yard through a 36" gate.

I don't know how many people have told me how much money it was worth and how it was too nice to burn. Well, I offered to sell it to everyone who said this and I got no takers. One guy was very persistent and I made him the offer of trading split hardwood for the black walnut I had.

All I know about it is that I don't mill but I do burn wood to keep warm. That black walnut split easy, burns well, and smells nice. It was worth about $1000 in heating to me.

That sounds like a valuable black walnut to me then!

That sounds like a valuable black walnut to me then!

I pulled another two cords of wood out of the same yard. It was about half and half sugar maple and basswood. The same guy who was so sure I was burning up my retirement money in the black walnut insisted that wood carvers would pay big money for basswood. So not only was I wasting my time burning junk wood but I was missing out on another big payday. As it turns out the basswood burns just fine. It is worth just about what the walnut was.

With the cold snap we have had lately I switched to the premium (locust, oak, mulberry) stack. I actually was rooting through looking for some of the basswood to mitigate the coals from the good stuff.

For me it is simple. If I recognize that I have a valuable tree I will not do a slice and dice to make it firewood. I will cut a nice length of it and try to sell it. Even then I expect that most of the tree will become firewood.

Back