What Is Proper Way To Tie A Bowline? (Not What You Think)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlRockin'

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
EDIT: To ensure accuracy of replies and to make sure people understand my question, I am not straight up asking how to tie the bowline. Looks to me I tie it the same as everyone else. Please read below to see if you've thought this before or know the answer. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Orig. Post=

Been doing some reviewing and was told to make sure when I make the bowline knot to make the circle in the right direction. One can make it clockwise or counter-clockwise.

I see when I make it clockwise, the tail sits outside the main loop and when done counter, the tail sits within the loop. Since the loop doesn't slip down like a slip know, I don't see any pressure on the tail when it's in the inside.

So what's up? Does going clockwise make the knot more vulnerable to getting too tight?

StihlRockin'

I knew about that source, good stuff. Thanks for the reminder. Below is how I tie the knot:

http://www.animatedknots.com/bowlin...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

As the circle is made it goes back onto itself, but counter-clockwise.

My question pertains more to what would happen if the circle is first made/circled/looped in the clockwise fashion?

Since someone told me to go the correct direction, I thought there must be a negative or disadvantage to going clockwise. Both knots look the same to me, but the difference is where the tail ends up.

Curious. Thank you.

StihlRockin'

We were told in the fire service that if the tail is on the outside there is a very slight chance that it could slip. Don't know if that's right or not but I always tie it with the tail inside. That's how I was taught.

...Don't know if that's right or not but I always tie it with the tail inside. That's how I was taught.

Me too Str8six. But it wasn't pointed out to me which way the tail ended up, only to make the circle counter-clockwise. Your point is interesting because it gives merit to the idea that there is a right and wrong way for the direction of the loop before the rabbit comes out the hole! LOL! Thank you for your reply. :rock:

P.S. "LOVE that first saw you have listed there as no.#1 the 044. I have 2 of them, with one to be fixed up by a local guy who knows his stuff around saws. Wish I did."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any others have ideas, opinions or advice on the subject?

StihlRockin'

I was taught that knots are tied the way a right handed guy is to tie them. I had a left handed guy told me he had to learn to tie like he was right handed.
Jeff

Interesting. Reminds me that if you're left handed, you are still trained and urged to trigger the chainsaw with your right hand.

Not long ago was looking up on YouTube "how split wood fast" or something similar and found a "healthy" guy, who was wearing an orange t-shirt abusing a Stihl(by literally throwing it to the ground) who ran the saw LEFT-handed. Looked weird to me! He showed how he split wood with a maul and said he searched ALL of YouTube and couldn't find anyone who knew what they were doing. LOL! Yeah, right. I know of 3 guys that caught my attention and respect for the job.

Thanks. Info appreciated.

StihlRockin'

Very true Jeff. The world is dominated by right handed everything. I'm pretty sure my first grade teacher said I had the devil in me because I'm lefty.

And for what purpose did the "teacher" catch you at when you were in the progress of "... the devile in me...", eh, "lefty"?

LOL! I think I figured that out and will file that under "Don't need to know" or "Too much information".

You and "billy" have yourselves a good time there.

StihlRockin' :D

My testing has found no difference in the strength with the tail inside or out and have never been able to get one to slip. Once dressed and loaded I have been unable to get one to come loose even with hundreds of cycles of loading and unloading,

Tail on outside, ive always heard it referred to as a "cowboy bowline"
I believe theres an argument somewhere saying its potentially stronger? Wiki maybe.

Are you right or left handed? CW CCW is more a function of that.

Are we talking about the working(bitter) end? and whether it loops toward or away from the work??

Knots work on 2-basic principles, friction and clamping. With the bowline some say that clamping force is better if the working end loops around the standing end towards the workpiece.

My two favorite knots are the bowline and the truckers hitch.

Are you right or left handed? CW CCW is more a function of that.

Are we talking about the working(bitter) end? and whether it loops toward or away from the work??

Knots work on 2-basic principles, friction and clamping. With the bowline some say that clamping force is better if the working end loops around the standing end towards the workpiece.

My two favorite knots are the bowline and the truckers hitch.

When you say the bitter end is either "with" or "away" from work.. Are you referring to a yosemite tie off when the tail is "away" from the work?

I was under the impression we were talking about the tail being "inside" the loop of the bowline, or "outside" both resulting in the tail pointing "at the work".

Back