Fiddle block

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pieced together the mechanical advantage tree pulling kit for less than half the price and use it quite often. If I was using it all the time for pre-tensioning on the portawarp I believe the fiddle blocks would be faster.

If your just pulling over trees you can create a great 3X mechanical advantage system very easily. Tye off the stick using a running bowline at the top of the tree. Attach a steel carabeaner with pulley at ground level using a mid line attachment knot such as a bowline on a bight. Take the running end of the rope and run it through a block on a nearby tree and back up through the pulley. Pull towards the block. 100 lbs of force become 300lbs with this system. Use it all the time, sets up quick, uses existing items off the truck and works well.

Mike

Setting up a mechanical advantage by pulleys is great too, but this thing is the cats meow. Wish we had bought one earlier. Have 8 trees we're doing for a Property Management Co. on Thurs. & we'll be able to use it on 5, maybe 6 of the trees. Then for another job that afternoon. I'll add that to one of the better things we've purchased & it's only $275!

Setting up a mechanical advantage by pulleys is great too, but this thing is the cats meow. Wish we had bought one earlier. Have 8 trees we're doing for a Property Management Co. on Thurs. & we'll be able to use it on 5, maybe 6 of the trees. Then for another job that afternoon. I'll add that to one of the better things we've purchased & it's only $275!

We have mentioned so many items or so it seems can you post a pic or pn of the exact item you are talking about. I have been looking at these things for years just never been ready to jump but have a job coming up quick I may need one for.

I like the general idea of the fiddle blocks, but the becket looks a little insufficient. I may have missed it, but I can't recall anyone posting a WLL for them.

10,000#? OK, that is impressive compared to the 32kN (~7,200#) of those eBay double-sheave pulleys. But OTOH, if I can only pull a rope with about 200# of force, and the 5-to-1 MA gains me only 1,000# of force on the load from either of the two options, then I'll stay with the less expensive double-sheave pulleys.

On ground I use an old school HD steel block &tackle set I found in the barn. HEAVY, and mind you, not chi-com junk.
Up high and for light duty, 5/8 capacity 3" aluminum double pulleys I bought from Wesspur for $21 each. I think they're climb rights. Of course Wesspur doesn't have them anymore. (Too chinsy to risk selling perhaps?) No stress cracks yet.
Progress capture? I've been using a screw link and swabisch or distel eye to eye for years. Old steel blocks also get a boat snap to tend the friction knot because of the round cheek bottoms. I2I rope, screw link and snap combo took a while to figure out.

Everybody has their own situation. Mine is that I am middle aged and cheap. If ya ain't gonna be walkin away from tree service work in the foreseeable, If ya do lots of storm cleanup, if yer tired of fixing lawn messes from truck or bobcat, get a fiddle block. The younger ya are, the more sense it makes.

If ya go cheap on double pulleys, and plan on working it hard, go for steel side plates and go big on everything. Big sheaves ( think 4"or more) for best bend radius. 5/8" rope capacity so ya can use old rigline as well as smaller dia. climbline thats past its prime. Remember, WLL, on the cheap stuff is probably a lie.
Take care with a weak link in system. Strong biners, screw links and right size tennex with good eye splices.
CMI makes some nice ones. Industrial supply and material handling outlets are another good source for pulleys and block and tackle sets.

Back