Homemade Aux Oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runknpap

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This is my first post so bare with me guys.
I was so pleased at the way this came out I figured I would share it. Yes im one of those guys who runs a 42" bar on my 660. So I don't need to tell you that I need a aux oiler. Instead of me buying one I decided to make it why because it was soo simple. pics are worth 10o0 words.

20150305_212921.jpeg 20150305_211853.jpeg 20150305_211907.jpeg

ya pics aren't good sorry. but yes its a drip oiler. there is a flow rate adjuster on it and man it works perfect. Its a piece of tubeing that fit perfectly snug into a big old brake line I had sitting around. I then drilled holes into the mill. and perfect tight fit. mostly to keep the hoes away from the mill adjusting bolts so I can raise and lower it easily

Guessing you vent the cap during operation to keep the vacuum from stopping the oil flow?
Do you need to 'fiddle' with the rate of flow as you're cutting?
One more, how many times have you forgot to turn it off?

Welcome aboard, and thanks for sharing!!!!!

Scott (have fun with it) B

Ya man. At the top where the zip tie goes threw the old gas tank there are 2 holes in it. And I haven't used it yet but I will this week got a big cherry that will need the 42"bar on it. Which Is why I made this little bugger. I live in the suburbs and we had a linesmen crew come threw my town and cut a lot of trees down to keep them away from power lines ive been picking up there pieces ever since. And yes I came down to the basement the other day to find corn oil all over. and ya I bet the vibrations of the mill will have me messing with it a lot.

update. I got to use the oiler. Well I tried to use it. But as soon as I raised the height on the mill. It pushed the hose upwards and made it so it popped out of the epoxy at the bottom of the gas tank. guess I diddent think that far ahead. opps shame on me. back to the drawing board.

This is my first post so bare with me guys.
I was so pleased at the way this came out I figured I would share it. Yes im one of those guys who runs a 42" bar on my 660. So I don't need to tell you that I need a aux oiler. Instead of me buying one I decided to make it why because it was soo simple. pics are worth 10o0 words.

View attachment 409148 View attachment 409149 View attachment 409150
what type of oil do you used with your auxiliary oiler or you just stick with STIHL MIX

I regularly use veg oil in my aux oiler as well as my saw tank. Any thoughts on this? I usually buy the big ol 5 gallon of whatever is cheapest at Sam's club. Let me know if I am doing something stupid please.

I wouldn't saw ur doing anything stupid. Only reason I wouldn't put it in the saw is I'm sure you go threw it faster due to it flicking off the saw blade so easily.

I used to use Canola oil in the aux oil tank but have stopped using it as I found it eventually makes too much of a mess on the saw and the mill.
Over time canola polymerises can form a hard lacquer like substance that is really hard to remove.
At one point it gummed up the Aux Oil lines and I had to replace these.
Have since found a bar oil supplier that adjusts the oil stickiness with a additive to suit my needs.
It's about the same price as canola.

I used to use Canola oil in the aux oil tank but have stopped using it as I found it eventually makes too much of a mess on the saw and the mill.
Over time canola polymerises can form a hard lacquer like substance that is really hard to remove.
At one point it gummed up the Aux Oil lines and I had to replace these.
Have since found a bar oil supplier that adjusts the oil stickiness with a additive to suit my needs.
It's about the same price as canola.
Which one is that Bob?? the recyclers from Wangara way ie;Tru Blue

Latest posts

Back