Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hickory here, shagbark, it's the dark oily heartwood that has that wonderful bacon/smoky smell to it. But, never tapped one, no idea what the raw sap in a big bucket would be like.
No tapping necessary for the hickory syrup. I was told it involves getting some bark, washing it then boiling it, put it thru a strainer cloth like a dishcloth, add sugar and one other spice and can when hot. Don't have any ideas on what the amounts are.
Heard the chef at Piggy's restaurant in La Crosse will be starting to use it.

No tapping necessary for the hickory syrup. I was told it involves getting some bark, washing it then boiling it, put it thru a strainer cloth like a dishcloth, add sugar and one other spice and can when hot. Don't have any ideas on what the amounts are.
Heard the chef at Piggy's restaurant in La Crosse will be starting to use it.

Just googled it, plenty of recipes and references out there. Interesting, never heard of it before.

Ohhh I wish the snow and the cold slowed down the PI. Never has around me. I am good to get it a few times a year.

Clint if I come all the way up there, I am going hunting first, cutting wood second. Actually that sounds like one heck of a road trip.

How early does the snow start up there... July or August?
i ''ll drive N_A. we can hunt from Clint's back porch.:laughing:

I hope someone is scrounging today. No cutting here as kids have soccer practice. Planning on taking a few days off next week to start laying it in

Just added everything up from my wood log. Since January 1 I've put about 13 1/2 cords on the ground and about 3 1/2 hand split so far. I've got some work to do.

Latest posts

Back