Firewood production w/o splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eudaimonea

Refurb Advocate
Reaction score
Hi there, the purpose of this thread is to poll people about how much to pay your friends when they help you split wood

Been getting a lot of free firewood, about 25-30 cords in 2013 (scrounging hard) and this year we have an "in" with a caretaker. 3 poker buddies want to help split wood with maul. Normally, i would just think they were humoring me, but one of them was my workout buddy, etc. At least one will probably show up. BUT HOW MUCH SHOULD I PAY THEM? I have no idea, and to make a long story short i just want to treat them right.

My problem is this: how do i pay them? I dont suspect that 2 of them really swing a maul well, i dont expect anyone will work more than two hours of hard spitting, and i could really use a wood buddy.

Bottom line is ill have some help splitting and dont have any idea how to pay them. I think the only fair way is to buy i splitter, and i dont want to buy a splitter

25-30 cords is a lot of wood. Are you sure you dont mean face cords? A face cord is stacked 4' tall and 8' long by whatever length (16" typically). There a 3 face cords in a cord (when cut 16" long). 25-30 cord a year with a maul would be a full time job for 2 people, let alone one person.

Pay them in beer. I dont see this working long term lol.

Let me put it this way. I can buy firewood rounds cut to length that need to be split for $40 a face cord. I can buy green firewood that is cut an split for $55 a face cord. Therefore I would be paing $15 per face cord of wood for splitting... You could offer him $10-15 per face cord for splitting assuming thats all he was doing (no saw running, stacking etc). I think that would be fair money per hour when it boils down to it because I could probably split 1.5 face cords per hour if its not knotty crap or Elm. That $15 per hour if hes a good aim.

I think you are right: it just wont work. Theyll be breaking handles, calling it quits, just wont make sense.

But i think flat rate is the way to go,as you mentioned. Probably just get a cord ready, and work with them side-by -side until its done, for a agreed upon price..."ill pay you each $25 to help me split this cord" or something like that, that way they can bust ass if they want, and i can pick up the slack if needed. If i get anyone to stick with it ,ill be happy to have a wood buddy

I should of course say that not all the wood i sold was split, some was limb wood. and there was a pickup load of cherry i had that i needed to borrow a splitter for. I didnt exactly sell it by the cord, so that makes it hard to gauge. I will say i sold 28-30 pickup loads after january that year, 4 measured cords, and 3+ neatly stacked cords for the house and a heck of a lot of "chunks" i made out really knarly knots ("split" them with the chainsaw!)

but i would agree most people dont know how much firewood was in a cord. More than one person tried to convince me i had over a half cord of wood when i heaped it in my 8ft bed, which is (of course) ridiculous.

$35 to split a full cord and you can still make money. Maybe $10 or $15 for a face cord. Splitting large amounts of wood by hand for a firewood business is not practical for most unless you just sell a couple cord.

Latest posts

Back